Logo

Replace Tohatsu 15hp with 18?

Crockman

Hello guys/gals

i have a 2011 Mercury 15hp pro kicker, which is a Tohatsu 4 stroke engine. It recently blew a rod and put a hole in the side of the block. I found a 2006 Tohatsu 18hp powerhead and wondered if it would work? It looks the same as far as I can tell.
When I look up both motors they use the same oil pan gasket, but the block numbers are different. (Maybe because of year?)
It is a bare powerhead so I would have to change over my flywheel,intake,carb etc. Looking for insight if this will work before I order it.

thanks!

Last edited:
One difference is that the MFS15C used a manual choke, while the MFS18B2 has ABS (and no choke). However, the blocks should interchange. The 18 has a higher-lift cam, but aside from that, should work OK.

Then. If you swap to the 18 carb, you will gain 3 hp as well...

Pvanv...I could use your help please! I have run into a problem!
I am just about done the long block swap and realized the crank taper is different than 2011 merc (tohatsu) motor I replaced. The long block did not come with the flywheel and my mercury one doesn’t fit. I would think that the crank on the merc motor might have been damaged since it broke a rod and put a hole in the block, if it’s not damaged is swapping the crank a option?
Is the better option to try and find the proper flywheel for the year of tohatsu and hope my mercury starter,alternator works with it?

Thanks Pvanv or anyone else that knows

Assuming your new powerhead is the MFS18B2,
3H8060960MFLYWHEEL CUP W/RING GEAR (FF-51)$178.93

Back