Logo

optimax spark plug gap

Mtsaz

HI how critical is the gap? the manual says (for 2007 115 optimax) .031. The various forums and different websites say .032. I dont know if that matters---or makes a difference- I know I have seen cars that it would--but here I dont know.

If it does---which gap would you suggest? if not- I will probably go with the manual since i have not found anything from mercury (only websites/forums) that say .032. I know that the difference is very tiny- but I just want to be done with this motor once and for all.

Thanks

If they are the plugs with the tiny electrodes. Do not gap those. You will destroy them. What is the issue that you have to gap plugs ?

HI how critical is the gap? the manual says (for 2007 115 optimax) .031. The various forums and different websites say .032. I dont know if that matters---or makes a difference- I know I have seen cars that it would--but here I dont know.

If it does---which gap would you suggest? if not- I will probably go with the manual since i have not found anything from mercury (only websites/forums) that say .032. I know that the difference is very tiny- but I just want to be done with this motor once and for all.

Thanks

Why would you question the source? If the OE Manual says .031 then that is what it should be. IMO .001 either way will not make a difference.

You can gap Iridium plugs. Here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuW3svdqKZM

I was told not go gap such said plugs. Due to breakage. I wasn't questioning the source.

That is because your source did not know that they can be gaped. People just shove that wedge in the plug and pry.... That is the wrong way to gap any plug....

FYI, if you drop an Iridium spark plug, even if it is out of your plug socket and into the bilge, it is instantly junk. Throw it away and be more careful with the next one. You will thank for this info some day.

Back