Logo

3.0 liter omc cobra serious problem!!!

Amedic

Hello all... I am new to this forum but after doing extensive research I think I came to the right place. My dad has a 89 omc cobra 3.0 outdrive. After putting in a new one he has the same problem. After 20 to 30 minutes on the water the out drive begins to make a tick tick noise. He says after this that the engine will shut off. After about a half hour he says the host will start up ride like normal for 30 min then again make the noise. Any suggestions as what this could be? He had a old out drive hat did it and now another outdrive is causing the same issue? He really appreciates anybody that could help as he lives in Germany and I am relating this message to you guys.

I would run on muffs on trailer, after cranking engine, make sure , water is coming out of water exhaust port. Did he notice water temp. at gauge ?

If water is coming out water exhaust port at transom, watch temp. gauge see if motor run hot.

The water comes out fine and and the temp gauge reads normal. He said he notices that it looks like the engine is straining to get power after a while causing it to eventually stop the motor.

Doesn't sound like bad fuel , if motor runs for 30 mins. Some of the old set ups used a primer bulb from tank to engine, cause they didn't have electric fuel pump. If he has a portable gas tank , like for outboard, connect to carb. and run motor . If no problem , it's fuel lines, bulb or manual fuel pump. If manual fuel pump has small line coming from it to carb. That's for bad diagram to keep fuel from going into engine oil creating a bomb.

I wonder from the symptoms, description if the drives are improperly filled with gear oil and upper bearing seizing up locking the engine.

I wonder from the symptoms, description if the drives are improperly filled with gear oil and upper bearing seizing up locking the engine.
There is one & only one correct way to fill that drive & it's from the middle plug. Not the bottom one near the skeg, not the dipstick. If he filled it from the bottom he may have grenaded the gearset. Filling from the bottom plug causes an air bubble, giving a false reading on the dipstick.

Back