Logo

Mercruiser 3.0 Head Gasket keeps blowing

lionelgalvan1

Hello,

I have a 2006 Bayliner with a 3.0 Mercruiser. Original issue was blown head gasket. Got it repaired with a new one. After like 5 hours of use the gasket blew again. Looks to be in the same spot. I can feel the air. Any idea why? Has anyone had same issue and a fix that will prevent this from happening so fast?

I know overheating could be a issue. But boat is always at 175 degree for temperature. Never goes higher. Not sure if this gauge is a correct way to tell if engine is overheating.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Last edited:
mechanic said it did not looked warp
Is he Superman with x-ray vision Dont think any human will see a gap that small, .005 gap is more than enough to be blowing head gaskets. Timing should be AFTER top dead center not before TDC
What kind of card, it may be adjusted a bit too lean , remove the tamper cap and readjust it

Hi Mikey,

No it was not. They just removed the old gasket and mechanic said it did not looked warp. So he just put the new gasket.
Find a mechanic who knows how to use a machinest's straight edge & can plane a head. Any engine rebuilder should be able to do it at nominal cost. Me, I'd have the shop do a valve job while the head is off. But, it's your call.

Dock side,
Why would ignition timing get off , wear on timing chain?

There is a specific timing procedure and if not followed the timing will be to advanced resulting in several possible bad things. Some of which can lead to a head gasket blowing out. Excessively high cylinder pressure at the wrong time is one example which can lead to much higher temps at head gasket area (not overall engine temps), Detonation or pre ignition, mixture ignition at the wrong timel

It would be best to find a reputable service center who will do this repair correctly.

there was a reason it blew the first time, still to be determined. Most likely if there is an uneven surface/damage to head or block and that may be why it went the second time in the "same" location.

who takes the time to pull a head off and not send it out to be surface checked and planed?
the cost to check straightness is under 50 bucks around here
more like 30

When I set static timing , on race engines , no dwell anymore , so please explain what the he'll your talking about retiming on water. Inquiry minds want to know

Once timing is set, you are telling me that y'all hook up timing distubuter under load on water to readjust timing now once on water do you turn distubuter to get timing and use ferral timing light. To set your base timing?

If its. Set at 8 before it's not going to change in water other than wear on timing chain. Motor doesn't change because it's in a boat.

Thanks dockside, didn't know 3.0 was gear to gear . we use long blocks , so don't go into timing cover . so. TB V, ground purple/ white . and at 650 rpm. Idle and set at 10° before. If it is TB IV.
Then. I connect. White%green an white/ red,,,, then set at 8` before

Back