Logo

2010 60 HP Honda Outboard losing power

Martok

I bought a boat with a 2010 60 HP Honda motor. I took it out and at low to mid RPM's (under 4000 but not always at the same RPM's) it runs smooth. When I go to raise the throttle it feels like I'm losing a cylinder. If I bring the throttle back down, it will start to run smooth again. Out of nowhere it will run full power nice and smooth, but I can't count on how long it will stay smooth. I inspected and cleaned the injectors, and they are working fine. I also replaced the plugs. I thought it may have been a venting problem in the fuel tank, but the bulb isn't collapsed. I also had my brother try pumping it while that was happening which didn't make a difference. When I take it up to the point where it just starts to run rough and leave it, it will sometimes surge like it's starting to run normal. I also have a water separator installed.
I don't know if it's electrical, or fuel related. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need anymore information.

They are very small on the 60 and should be replaced every 2 years, common issue with performance. Make sure you order both O rings when you get a filter.

They are very small on the 60 and should be replaced every 2 years, common issue with performance. Make sure you order both O rings when you get a filter.
I have been trying to lookup where to buy the filter and O rings online. I am having a tough time. Do you have any recommendations?
I probably should have mentioned it's a BFP60A

Last edited:
All BF40,50 and 60 EFI's use the same high pressure filter. Filter 16911-ZZ5-003, O rings 16073-ZZ5-003 and 16074-ZZ5-003

All BF40,50 and 60 EFI's use the same high pressure filter. Filter 16911-ZZ5-003, O rings 16073-ZZ5-003 and 16074-ZZ5-003

Ok, I replaced high pressure filter. It was still running rough. I pulled the wire off the injectors one at a time. 2 and 3 made the engine stall, and 1 made no difference. So I'm thinking it's a bad injector? I'd like your thought before I change it.

If the spark plug is wet it's a spark issue. if dry then injector, you should use a noid light to check injector pulse(check noid light test on youtube). You said injectors were cleaned, were they flow tested, if so they should be fine?

If the spark plug is wet it's a spark issue. if dry then injector, you should use a noid light to check injector pulse(check noid light test on youtube). You said injectors were cleaned, were they flow tested, if so they should be fine?
The way I tested and cleaned them was with a 9 volt battery. All 3 did open and I was able to spray carb cleaner through them. Is it possible that it's intermittent? I know I'm reaching, but I'm at wits end.

Please check as I described, there is no short cut with diagnosis, I am simply trying to help you avoid buying unnecessary parts.The way you cleaned them should be okay, I have yet to replace an injector on one of these motors.

And I am also assuming you have checked compression
I am going to call the Honda dealer to see if they can take it in and throw it on the scanner for me. Once they find out what the issue is, I will post it in this thread. I appreciate all the help you have given me.

I am going to call the Honda dealer to see if they can take it in and throw it on the scanner for me. Once they find out what the issue is, I will post it in this thread. I appreciate all the help you have given me.

It turns out that it was what I thought from the beginning. The coil was bad. When I first spoke to the the guy at Honda, he told me that he never saw a coil go bad, and that he doesn't even keep them in stock. He had me change the plugs, ($95) change the high pressure filter ($38) and I ended up taking it to them to throw on the scanner ($105). So a lot of unnecessary money spent, but I'm glad it's fixed.
Thank you to all that replied to me.

I wouldn't call changing service items wasted money, spark plugs can be kept and used again, high pressure filter should be replaced every 2 years anyway. In some cases it can be a hell of a lot cheaper to take the job to a dealer or someone who knows your engine better than you do in the first place, depends on your ability.The coil failure is a very rare one but easy to diagnose.Glad it's fixed and thanks for posting results

Back