Logo

1985 force 85 hp outboard no spark

Bwags98

Hi all. I just bought a 1985 Bayliner Capri with an 85 horsepower Force outboard motor. we bought it and knowing that the motor did not run. My buddy the guy we bought it off of told me carburetors needed rebuilt. so first thing I did when I got the boat home is rebuild all three carburetors... replace all the gaskets reinstalled and still no start. no I'm an automotive mechanic by trade but I have to say I know absolutely nothing about these older outboard motors. I know absolutely nothing about the stator or a Magneto so this problem has me pretty lost. First thing I did of course after I rebuild the carburetors with no start is checked for spark. I have no spark on any of the three cylinders. honestly I have no idea where to even begin to look. I tried doing some research online but it seems to be pretty hard to find info on this outboard all that I did find is that it is a very good motor and it seems like it's Bulletproof. I know the fella I bought it off and have been on the boat numerous times and it ran perfect. so I know it does run. I believe the coils are good because I bough 3 used ones and that didnt fix the spark on any of the cylinders...so please can anybody tell me what to look for and where is the absolute first spot you would look to see why there is no spark...and where to go from there. thanks in advance and hopefully someone here can help me.

outboardignitiondotcom
They have test procedures for your motor.
You'll need an analog meter for the basic tests.
For the more advanced tests you'll need a DVA or peak reading volt meter.

You can test the stator with a regular meter.
Unfortunately the stator can test good and be bad :(
Usually a no spark is a bad stator.

The 85/85hp. has the plug in connectors, try unhooking and spraying WD in the connectors.

Does the boat have a safety switch on the dash?
If you have a tach, try unhooking it and see if the spark returns???

These motors can last a LONG time.
I had 2 and they were running when the salt water got to the mid section and I removed them.

Hi jerry. Thanks for the response. It almost seems like there is a kill switch somewhere because when I found it had spark I called my buddy who I bought it off of and he had the boat for about 10 years and never had a problem with no spark. But no all I have is a horn nav lights and bilge pump buttons. No tach either.

Back