Logo

1958 Evinrude 18 HP Fastrim Golden Jubilee 2 cylinder

Billaz

6/1/2019
Hi, I am a newbee here. I just came into possession of a 1958 18 HP Evinrude Serial # 15028-20524.

I don't know if it will run as it has been in storage. Looks in decently kept shape.

I could like to inquire where are the best places to obtain a gasoline hook up line (tank to motor), and owners manual for this old gal. I see that Evinrude's web site has an owner's manual but it is $30. Also, is there a good forum for these old outboards? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks for your indulgence.

This is a good forum for you, there are plenty helpers here that know your motor very well. $30 is a decent price for that operator's manual. Your motor is the last of the "pressure tank" systems.....a very good sealed and enclosed fuel delivery system. These are a very simple system and highly reliable because that don't incorporate a fuel pump. Sometimes they may fail but I have many of these around with the original tank gaskets, hoses, and primer pump. The fix is always simple and easy, like making a new gasket. The pickup screen is large and of extremely good quality. If the tank gets rusty or infected with crap inside, you can get the top off the tank and physically get inside to clean it. I have good sized hands and I can even squeeze one of them in there to clean and even work out dents. The coupling that fits on the motor is expensive but I often find them at auction sales and garage sales for cheap.....like $35 bucks. The o-rings are available and a slightly smaller size than the single line system. You can order them from here or most marine outfits. I get them from Tims Outboard in Hackensack MN phone # 218 682 2331, tell 'em Tim sent 'ya. They may have a double line coupling too, not sure what the price will be however. I have some around here, but usually not enough to handle all the vintage motors that I get running again. I just bought 4 pre 1959's at the last 2 auctions but only got 2 tanks with them and 1 fitting. Its a constant battle to find these couplings.

Last edited:
The fuel hose and connector often is worth more than the whole rest of the motor. Unless somebody does not realize what he has. Pull the flywheel and check the coils. They probably are NG (cracked) unless they have already been replaced. Add those $$ to the fuel hose. And you will need a new water pump impeller. Are you ready to commit to this thing? If so, welcome to the hobby.

Right, gonna take a few bucks. But look at it this way if you have a newer motor and need a switch box or power pack or stator or even trigger, then you can expect to pay way way more. Do an accurate compression test and decide if the motor is worth fixing then set aside a couple hundred bucks and get er done.

Wow, Thank you all for all of the information. 1st class. I do not yet have any manuals for the 18hp 1959 motor. Do you perhaps know the acceptable compression rage and I'll check that before proceeding. I read on another form last night a suggestion that the pressurized tank was dangerous and Evinrude redesigned the motor to use a fuel pump the next year (no presurized tank) and its better bet is to convert to a modern single line tank and a Mikuni fuel pump http://outboard-boat-motor-repair.co...el%20Tanks.htm
(They leave out a detail that BOTH check valves need removed but otherwise an OK description.) Is that a good ide and cheaper way to go? Would a mikuni pump work with the 18hp motor?

I want to take my grand kids fishing so would like to know if there real safety concerns.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gen...t-engine-topics/8567227-59-evinrude-fuel-tank

I am exited to see if this motor still has some life . I have a 1972 5hp motor that just purrs along since bought new.

Thank you so much!
Bill

That "danger" rumor is BS. Any tank that leaks is dangerous, pressurized or not. Besides, new tanks cannot, by law, emit vapors. That means if out in the sun, pressure builds up inside them.

Sure, they quit making the pressurized system in 1958-59. Partly because of marketing, partly because of bigger boats with built-in tanks, partly because of need to carry more than one portable tank with bigger motors, and of course cost. Its just cheaper to make a motor with a fuel pump, than to make those old pressure tanks. And the BS.

EDIT: Oh, so you have a '72. That means you have a working tank. That's a consideration.

Last edited:
The only danger would be encountered if you were to unscrew the fuel cap with a cigarette in your hand. The connector is available on this site for $150...The hose is also available for $5.00 per foot

I have a couple of these 15028 motors. In all likelihood, you need nothing more than fresh gas and off you go.
Actually you can use the Evinrude fuel pump and keep it "'Rude". This requires replacing the lower side cover on the power head with the later one ( PN 0314817, Gasket PN 0314818) that has a hole in it, and installing the evinrude fuel pump (PN 0388684)
New double line hose is available in alcohol resistant rubber but it is mighty expensive (PN 0772566)
Tank parts diagram here:http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Fuel+Tank+Group
Engine parts diagrams here (Our hosts have the johnson diagrams which are identical to evinrude):http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1957&hp=18&model=FD-11
Change the oil in the bottom gear case. You need to buy the adapter that lets you pump in SAE 90 (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quicksil...-tcwSuoVkszoaX_bdcDveZ9kU1mkOkIBoCqSYQAvD_BwE), Remove the two screw plugs, Drain. insert pump adapter into lower hole and pump in lube until it comes out the top hole. put upper plug in, then lower.

Last edited:
My guess is that if you get 100 psi your fine. So you don't have a pressure tank either? I probably can find a tank for you, but that "double line fitting" is going to be the real challenge.

Last edited:
PS if I saw that Mikuni fuel pump install on an old Evinrude/Johnson I would classify it as a SPOT (Stupid Previous Owner Thing) as the correct parts are easy to obtain and install.

EXCELLENT advice o2, you are awesome. Great prices on tanks and fittings too. I had no idea you could get them that cheap. Thanks. We DO think alike......at times!

Yup, first thing I would do is dribble some fresh gas down into the air muffler and pull the go rope (IN NEUTRAL!!!). I bet you a dollar it'll cough.

Due to modem gasoline additives, do I need to change out all of the old fuel lines on the motor and the pressurized tank with new? Anything else need changed out because of modern fuel?

If you use non oxygenated fuel you don't have to worry about anything. The ethanol is the additive that will haunt you. Make sure if you get the non oxy at a pump that shares its hose with ethanol fuels (a non dedicated hose), you pump the first gallon into your car or truck.

Last edited:
I converted my '57 Evinrude 5 1/2 hp Fisherman over to use a fuel pump instead of trying to find a good pressure tank only because it was a lot cheaper. I bought a universal fuel pump off of Walmart's web site for $10.11 with free shipping. It was pretty easy to install. You can find several videos on Youtube showing the installation. I made metal brackets to mount mine with instead of using wire ties like the guys in the videos. On the 5 1/2 hp it requires removing the check valves from the intake and plugging one of the holes with a rubber cap in order for it to supply the pulse to the fuel pump to pump the gas.

JokEduu.jpg

eTH0GFF.jpg

Found a used single line connection on E-bay for $14.
5H5LK8R.jpg

Found an old single line tank on E-bay that was a lot cheaper than a pressure tank.
c6oo3Ng.jpg

Runs good now.
0udWMNO.jpg

7wrxLRv.jpg

Last edited:
Back