Logo

2014 Tohatsu 50 hp tldi issues

Whitey4

I have a 2014 50 hp tldi tiller handle and have had numerous instances in which I crank down on the throttle to take off, and the motor hesitates, then slowly dies. I also gave been running wide open when it decides to hesitate, then die. When I try to restart, it revs way high, then dies. It does this over and over but then will finally start normally like it should.

I took it to a Tohatsu dealer last year and he said he ran tests and found nothing wrong. I went ahead and replaced the fuel lines, primer ball, and gas tank, since my tank was from a previous Tohatsu i owned. It ran great for almost a year then started acting up again today. It seems to start giving me fits after I've ran it and it's warmed up. I use fresh fuel, stabile marine additive, vent on tank it open, and plugs are from 2017.

I remember it doing this when it was brand new, but I never took it in and chalked it up to bad fuel from the gas station. It's done this off and on since when I purchased new in 2014 and is still under warranty until September.

My fear is the dealer won't find any issues again and I'll be SOL.

Thanks for any suggestions I can pass along to the mechanic.

Your dealer should put it in diag mode and let the motor tell him what malfunctions it sees.
You need a 1000 amp battery. If you don't have that, all bets are off.

Your dealer should put it in diag mode and let the motor tell him what malfunctions it sees.
You need a 1000 amp battery. If you don't have that, all bets are off.

Thanks Paul. Do you mean 1000 amp starting battery or is there a specific battery needed for the diag mode test?

If it's the cranking battery you were referring I've always used an Interstate 24M-XHD which is 800 cold cranking amps and 1000 cranking amps for this motor.

No, not a specific battery for the testing in diag mode. However, if your battery is too small, or old, the voltage will droop while cranking, and the ECU in the motor will not initialize correctly, and give weird results.

Back