Logo

Starts on hose but not in water after warmed up

appel1978

I will be as thorough in this description as i can. First i just bought this 1990 four winns 200 candia with omc cobra 5.8l in/out board. After two lake runs i found out the heads were leaking water into oil. So i had a guy repair the heads on the boat. So i dont know how long this boat sat before i bought it and it has pretty much sat for 3 months while i had heads fixed. So i put the intake back on and did the timing myself at 10 degrees off tdc at idle per manual. It starts up every time on hose. So i took it to lake and it starts up initially and i let it warm up. I did have to fiddle with air fuel screw to get the rpms up enough for it to stay running. Then i take it out on the water but as soon as or shortly after i throw down throttle it falls on its face and comes alive and falls on its face and comes alive so i lowered the throttle and putted back to dock where it eventually stalled. After that i could not get it to start at all. Got it home an hooked up hose and it started right away. Few days later i take it to lake again. Same exact thing happened started right up in water, warmed it up, revved well and so i took it out and it fell on its face soon after i punched it. Came back to dock same thing. Stalled couldn't get it started but i tried something new i pulled it almost out of water except i left just the very lower end in so the water intake and the propeller was the only thing in the water. Wala it started right back up (had to hold throttle all the way down to get it to start but it did and stayed running. I backed the running boat back into water and pulled the trailer out. It was idling fine so i took it back out (not far) and same thing happened and putted back to dock and it stalled in water and spent 15 min trying again to start it but to no avail. Till i again loaded it back onto trailer and pulled it out of water except the lower part of stern ( i think thats what its called first boat) into the water just above the water intake holes and wala it started back up again. I shut it off put in all the way under and it would not start. I pulled it out again and it started right up.

So im pretty sure i should get the carbs cleaned. It cant hurt anyway. And i can see that causing the falling on its face issue if it is starving for fuel but could i dont see how the carb would keep it from not firing in the water but does either out w/hose or with just the lower end in the water. What your thoughts?

You should be initially setting up timing and carb adjustments in the water. You need the back pressure on the exhaust to set it up properly. I'm not sure of the timing procedure. But you might have to set it in base timing mode before you can adjust the timing. Unless this has a points system on it.

you should be initially setting up timing and carb adjustments in the water. You need the back pressure on the exhaust to set it up properly. I'm not sure of the timing procedure. But you might have to set it in base timing mode before you can adjust the timing. Unless this has a points system on it.

i initially adjusted timing with hose. But after i had a hard time starting it the first time i re adjusted the timing while it was in the water. I dont know what you mean by base mode but i did fallow the directions on how to do it in the cobra manual

Back