Logo

First Boat - A few questions

Dmbaker07

Hey everyone,
I just bought my first boat, it is a 1988 Glastron x19 with 3.7 Alpha One Mercruiser. I took it a out a few times with no issues, but I am noticing after I am in gear and put it back in Neutral, it idles between 2500-3500. I also noticed some smoke today and when I looked it is coming from a piece behind the engine that appears to have a tear in it (sorry I am not sure of any terminology yet) Pictures are below. The last picture is a ground wire that I assume should be connected somewhere but is not, any thoughts? I knew I was in for some work when I bought an older boat like this, Thanks!

Attachments

• ground cable.jpg
    ground cable.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 40
  • top view.jpg
    top view.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 35
It shouldn't idle that high....shifts at that RPM will tear up the outdrive....could be the control box, a cable adjustment, or the idle screw needs to be backed out.

the "tear" appears to be a burn thru on the exhaust bellows....due to a bad water pump or a corroded elbow....and should be resolved ASAP.

The factory harness uses "BLK" as ground...and it's there to ensure something is at a zero volt potential...

You need to seek profession marine mechanic help. You're on the verge of doing expensive damage here.

Jeff

It shouldn't idle that high....shifts at that RPM will tear up the outdrive....could be the control box, a cable adjustment, or the idle screw needs to be backed out.

the "tear" appears to be a burn thru on the exhaust bellows....due to a bad water pump or a corroded elbow....and should be resolved ASAP.

The factory harness uses "BLK" as ground...and it's there to ensure something is at a zero volt potential...

Thank you. I beleive it may be a cable as you mentioned. If I shut it off, put the throttle in reverse then back into neutral and start it then the idle seems good again. It is only high when I return to neutral form a forward gear. Thanks again

I think that will be the outcome, I just always like to seek advice first in case it is something simple that I just didn't know. I work on cars all the time but know nothing about boats

You need to seek profession marine mechanic help. You're on the verge of doing expensive damage here.

Jeff

Update: As advised I did seek professional marine mechanic help. Replaced Starter, Exhaust bellows and shutter as well as impeller. I have $800 less dollars but I have a boat again!

Back