Logo

YANMAR rattling motor but not in reverse

Sonbogo

Hello
My name is Christoffer and i own af YANMAR YSB8 inboard motor.
I have had some issues with the motor.

If you follow this link and listen to the sound, you can hear how the motor sound in forward gear (also the gear in the middle, i do not know the english expression), and you can also hear how it sounds in reverse. From 0 - 7 s. it is in noise-mode and after it is in reverse. Then i switch back a couple of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77DVSNTtBvw&feature=youtu.be

The microphone was not able to capture the "true experience". The boat sounds A LOT better going in reverse.

The motor have sounded badly in a long time, and we have thought it was because it was so old, but then the other day the gear stopped working except in reverse. Fortunately the reverse gear started sounding a lot better which suggest that the issue lies within the gear box. The long cylinder that is stretching from the motor and to the propel are shaking a lot except when the motor is in reverse.

Another possible explanation is the "dyse" (the instrument that sprays diesel in the motor at 160 bar. These boat terms are difficult to google, sorry), but we some professional tested it, and that is not the case.

Do you think the gear box is the source of trouble, or do you have any other guesses?

ANYTHING, is much appreciated. The season is started and i miss the sea.

Christoffer

Back