Logo

VP 3812269 Steering Actuator

daves69

Advanced Contributor
My '08 actuator decided to leak out over the lay up. Not serviceable?? Seems to be a fairly common fail for these. At 600 or more for a "new" replacement I'm looking at why I would not try to re-seal. What's your experience?

I see there are kits offered for the ram.
Nothing for the outer though. What's up with that? TIA for your assistance!
VPAct.JPG

I haven't dealt with the VP stuff specifically....that said, I'm with you - re-seal it.

We usually use a 'hydraulic shop'....drop it off in the afternoon and get it a day later....and usually cheaper than the 'marine oem kits'.

Even better, they have all the spanners and other 'specialty tools' that make it a no brainer.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm game for rebuilding it myself. It's the actuator remove and install that's a PIA!
I went ahead and ordered the ram seals. Plunger has a crack, rod is fine though.

Well, my first seal source sent the wrong ram seal in their kit. Too small on the OD and too short on height. Ram diameter is right. They'll be getting this kit back!
Trying singles ordered from The O-Ring Store next.

Update O-Ring Store seal. Closest they had was a Metric 16X24X5. A video I watched mentioned this seal. It went in although
it's
actually big on the OD for the cylinder. No leak so far though. Evidently needs a 16X23X5. Nothing in SAE close enough at that store.

123 bearing has it. Lol, 20 + 30 to ship as I read it!
Hydraulic seal
UT-16X23X5-NBR90 - 16x23x5 mm

Did you finish up on the rebuild?
Yeah, Calling it a done deal...……….for now! No leak yet. Need to put it in the water yet!
A picture of the original (leaker, center) and the 1st "Kit" seal that is too small on the OD (far right). ……... Re-installed actuator other picture
Capture.jpg
IMGP8440.jpg

Back