Logo

Small Hole Above Lower Unit - Spilling Water/Oil

Scubaboy1126

I have a 2002 50 HP Mercury outboard (2 Stroke, 3 Cylinder) motor. I was starting the motor for the first time to get ready for the season. I had it on muffs connected to the hose. I noticed on the right hand side of the gear case there is a small hole where it looks like motor oil/water wasspilling out. It looks like there should be pin or screw needs to go into the hole, but I can't seem to find anything in regards to a pin to purchase, so I need to know does that hole need a pin or not. I don't remember this water/oil spilling out last year.

I thought that water was getting into the lower unit, so I drained the lower unit gear oil and it came out like normal gear oil, so I can confirm that water isn't in the lower unit. It is black oil that comes out of the little hole.

2002 50 HP Mercury Outboard opening - Reduced.jpg

Is it ok that water/oil is seeping out of it when motor is running? I dont remember it doing that last season. I just want to make sure I'm not going to do major damage to the motor. We had enough trouble with it last year....lol

Thank You

Back