Logo

350 Indamar Inboard Not starting

estav75

I am having trouble starting my 1999 supra launch with a 350 Indamar in it. The batteries are charged, and the starter is getting power, (just installed a new starter). When you turn the key you can hear the solinoid push out the gear, but doesn't spin. The radio works, not sure what else could be wrong. The starter has 3 wires connected to it. I'm not sure if there could be any issues before the starter, because I'm not much of a mechanic. I will take a pic of the starter and see if that helps. (The boat is in neutral).

Ayuh,..... Carbed or Efi, or Mpi,..??

Any chance it's hydro-locked,..??
Pull the spark plugs, 'n try it,.... if water shoots outa the spark plug holes, ya found the problem,.....

To make the starter work, ya need battery power to the top big post,.....
The tiny post closest the motor is key-switch power which causes it to work,.....
The tiny post to the outer side provides battery voltage to the ignition, or fuel pump, while the stater is crankin',....

Ayuh,..... Carbed or Efi, or Mpi,..??

Any chance it's hydro-locked,..??
Pull the spark plugs, 'n try it,.... if water shoots outa the spark plug holes, ya found the problem,.....

To make the starter work, ya need battery power to the top big post,.....
The tiny post closest the motor is key-switch power which causes it to work,.....
The tiny post to the outer side provides battery voltage to the ignition, or fuel pump, while the stater is crankin',....

Even if if my engine isn't turning over or cranking at all, will pulling the spark plugs still work? If not, how else could I test to see if it is hydro locked?

That's the only way to see if it's hydro locked.

Check your starter connections as Bondo explained. Make sure the big positive cable has a clean connection and is tight. Don't over tighten it as you will twist the stud off inside the solenoid. Check the battery connections also. Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight

I am having trouble starting my 1999 supra launch with a 350 Indamar in it. The batteries are charged, and the starter is getting power, (just installed a new starter).
When you turn the key you can hear the solenoid push out the gear, but doesn't spin.
If the starter motor solenoid is kicking the pinion gear out, then the magnetic portion of the solenoid is working.
Possible issues:
.... the heavy amp contactors within the solenoid are not making continuity
.... the armature may be corroded preventing armature brush continuity
.... seized up engine.

Are you able to turn the crankshaft by hand by moving the harmonic balancer????

Follow Alen's and Bill's advice re; the possibility of a hydro-lock.

The radio works, not sure what else could be wrong.
The starter has 3 wires connected to it.
The starter should have one cable and two wires connected.

Last edited:
Don't forget the negative cable....it needs to be in good condition and with clean ends as well....if its crudded up, it blocks the flow of current the starter needs to spin the engine over....

and if ya pull ALL of the plugs out, it will make checking for hydolock a bit easier....

Back