Logo

2002 HPDI 200 Mystery Issue

LHP

Hey guys. I have 2002 Yamaha HPDI 200's on my 2870 Pursuit. They've always run excellent, about 700 hours. Only use ethanol free fuel, Yamalube & Ringfree maybe every 3-4 fill ups. I know is some groups they mention Ringfree causes plugs to fowl but they've been purring fine for 7 years with Yamalube and this is only the one cylinder so that's not it.

My port motor started these symptoms.

1. Go out for 1-2 hours #1 cylinder fouled plug real bad,
  2. Motor idles rough, has the "lean sneeze" at idle, idles lower than normal RPM then dies
  3. Won't go more than 2,500 - 3,000 RPM WOT.

So far we tested:

1. Has spark to plug, coil fine,
  2. Fuel injector was fine had it checked, then even swapped it with another cylinder,
  3. fuel injector driver has correct current,
  4. TPS is set correctly,
  5. Compression is good.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Basically everything checks out fine per my mechanic but we think the #1 cylinder just isn't firing at all and it's somehow fuel related. My mechanic thinks possibly it could be a "reed" that stuck, he's looking at that tomorrow. Crazy but I thought maybe someone might have some insight.[/FONT]

Yeah, it does seem like it could be a cracked reed valve that isn't opening all the way. The only other thing I can think of is that the compression test (for whatever reason) was invalid and there is in fact something wrong in that cylinder.

it may be electrical issue if does not go up to 3,000 rpm.

may be ECM control rpm.

pulser coil or check the fly wheel.

I think that it may be wrong ignition timing...intermittent ?

just assume what I think.

Good information, much appreciated. I will mention this to my mechanic. Pretty sure he already checked the coil and it was fine. Since it's just the one cylinder I'm not sure timing could be an issue. The ECM is also on his list. Yamaha also told him to check and make sure a cylinder sleeve hasn't turned (honestly not sure what they means but ok).

Back