Logo

Advice directions needed to remove carburator 2004 bigfoot mercury 25hp 4 stroke

CapnAhab

I'm a real beginner when it comes to doing things on motors. Sometimes I've fixed things though when I had a good video showing what to do. I bought a rebuilt carb for this motor and would like to try to put it in. Really fed up with the local dealer who has a monopoly on boat motor repair around here. Attached pics of carb side of my motor and engine #. I don't know that I can figure out a technical manual. Could anyone tell me how to do it or direct me to a step by step? Thanks!

Attachments

• merc 25hp 2cyl 4stroke 2004 bigfoot side.jpg
    merc 25hp 2cyl 4stroke 2004 bigfoot side.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 92
  • engine number merc25 4 stroke 2004.jpg
    engine number merc25 4 stroke 2004.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 39
In this forum. Goto top of page. Click on engine diagrams mercury / mariner. Type in your model number OT991996. Goto the intake diagram you will see that your carb is held on by 2 bolts starting at the airbox.

In this forum. Goto top of page. Click on engine diagrams mercury / mariner. Type in your model number OT991996. Goto the intake diagram you will see that your carb is held on by 2 bolts starting at the airbox.

Appreciate that. I didn't know how to get to that diagram. It's good to have if I run into someone more experienced than me. But it's still a ways over my experience level. I still hope someone with this exact motor might show a video or give pix of taking the carb off for people on my level. Thanks

OK. An old timer who lives nearby says he'll give directions as I do the work. He said I'll likely need a new gasket between the carb and main part since the old one will like get destroyed when I take the carb off? I'm looking at the carb that I found from the engine # but don't see the gasket(s) I think I need. I'm attaching the rebuilt that I have now.Thanksrebuilt carb side 1.jpgrebuilt carb side 2.jpg
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0T991996/1F25412DN/6949_90

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. This guy is doing a pretty big favor by offering to help and mentioned it so I'd rather have them on hand if needed. Could someone point me to the part?
Called the local dealer and they ordered the 2 O rings (after much research on their part, but that was partly due to me being so mechanically green in my description).
As I was trying to take a picture of the o rings area I saw gas on the carb. By the time I got through I began to wonder if maybe I'd discovered a possible cause of the the fuel starvation issue I've been having. I guess I should make it a separate topic since it's off from this one.

Back