Logo

92 OMC 5.8 Cobra Solenoid Melting

Mbishop412

I have a 1992 5.8 OMC Cobra. I had a fire last year. The solenoid melted, as well at the connection to the starter, and the positive battery terminal. I installed a new starter, new battery, new solenoid, new alternator, and new wiring. After approx 5 hours of normal operating, the solenoid cracked down the middle. The positive wire, to and from the solenoid, were extremely hot. I cannot figure it out. The solenoid is self grounding with a bolt through the motors frame. The only issue I see is the previous owner bypassed an ignition wire. Theres a straight wire from the ignition key to the solenoid. It doesn't not go through the neutral safety switch or harness.

I have a 1992 5.8 OMC Cobra. I had a fire last year. The solenoid melted, as well at the connection to the starter, and the positive battery terminal.
In order for that to occur, you must have had an excessively heavy amp load.

I installed a new starter, new battery, new solenoid, new alternator, and new wiring. After approx 5 hours of normal operating, the solenoid cracked down the middle.
Are you talking about a slave solenoid, or the solenoid on the starter motor?

The positive wire, to and from the solenoid, were extremely hot.
Again, only an excessively heavy amp load, under a substantial duration, would cause this.

I cannot figure it out. The solenoid is self grounding with a bolt through the motors frame.
If you are talking about the starter motor solenoid pull-in coil, yes..... it receives it's negative via the starter motor frame.

The only issue I see is the previous owner bypassed an ignition wire. Theres a straight wire from the ignition key to the solenoid. It doesn't not go through the neutral safety switch or harness.
That would be the S circuit.
While it would not be safe to operate the boat without the Neutral Safety switch being active, I do not see how it would cause your issue.

I am talking about the starter solenoid relay. 4 post relay.

The starter then has the starter, and the small solenoid ontop, which is match to the stock part # and "visusl" appearance as before.

Both times this issue has occured, it was after approx 10 mins of tubing. Pulling the tube and rider back into the boat with the ignition off.

When I would go to restart the bost, it was a very low, slow and bogged out attempt to start, and the wires were extremely hot after one attempt to start.

Back