Logo

1996 Evinrude 225 hard to find neutral

Willetts

95 Evinrude 225, hard finding neutral from forward or reverse. Whichever gear I'm coming out of i have to go past the neutral position just slightly and then it finds neutral.
I adjusted the cable per manual but it did not help.
I've had this motor for years and this problem just started, the LU has not been off.
Pushed down (fully depressed) on the switch interrupt and it cut the starboard cylinder like it is supposed too.
Can the shift rod height adjustment change by itself ?
I was thinking maybe the interrupt switch is not working properly ( plunger has to go down farther for full contact?)

The shift rod height cannot change by itself.

Quite unlikely (but possible) the problem is with the lower unit. However, check the lower drain plug magnet for splinter size metal particles... anything larger than the acceptable fuzzy rub between the fingers stuff!

More likely that the adjustable trunion is loose in the clamp in point at the engine. However, I suspect you've covered that.

What is more suspect is the control box area... anything allowing the shift cable to drift even slightly... the nylon bushings wearing excessively where the engine's shift linkage is attached to the front lower portion of the engine.

As a test of sorts.... Remove the shift cable from the engine's shift linkage. Now, manually grab the engine's shift linkage (where the cable would normally attach to that stud), and while spinning the prop with your foot (or actually, carefully, running the engine), shift the engine by hand in/out both gear positions a few times.

Did the engine shift normally... no searching for neutral?

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
I'm with Joe -- disconnect cable and shift by hand and see what it does.

I'm guessing you have a cable issue -- may be stretched/slipping.

Check the weld that hold the shift interrupter switch as these are prone to crack on older motors. Throws switch out of position and doesn't blip ignition when it try to come out of gear.

Resolved: Found the two bolts that connect the steering arm (just below the powerhead) had snapped off. This allowed the motor to move forward and backward about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Just enough to mess with the neutral assist switch and make it difficult to find neutral. To replace the bolts I had to remove the powerhead, lower unit and midsection. I inspected the shift rod and it is not bent. I did some internet research and found it is a little more common than I would like to hear.
The bad is those bolts are 25$ a piece. But at least that headache is gone.

Back