Logo

bBF200 acts like sucking air in fuel

JJP301

When put under load power drops like fuel line sucking air. replaced line tank to engine. The engine looses RPMS then picks up then shuts down, Hard to get restarted. At the dock engines idles no problem

Could it be a low pressure or high pressure fuel pump. I am not getting any codes .

Anyone have any idea of what it could be.

Can you be more specific, what rpm are you talking about? Will it run okay at a lower rpm and bog when increasing? As previously mentioned, have all the filters been replaced, are fuel lines good including where they pass through the rigging grommet? All this should be checked be fore looking at replacing pumps

End of last season it did the same thing I replaced the filter and filter holder then it was OK. First run this season it started again

Starting out it runs ok run up tp 3300 RMS for about 5 min then it starts once it happens it reves uptp about 2800 then acts like it isn't getting fuel.

To rule out low pressure pump, try pumping the primer bulb to see if she takes off or not. In my experience, I have yet to replace a mechanical pump on one of these motors, but there is always a first.The use of a fuel pressure gauge would be handy too, first you need to be sure the fuel is being delivered to the vapour separator.If you have one, you could connect a remote fuel tank directly to the water sensing fuel bowl on the motor and see if that fixes the problem in which case you isolate the problem to the fuel supply from the boat. This is simply a process of elimination.

Agree with Ian on testing the low pressure fuel pump.

These engines are highly sensitive to a restricted or clogged high pressure fuel filter. Change that out, drain the VST. Then measure fuel pressure at idle. It should be between 41 and 48 PSI. If too high, remove and clean the fuel pressure regulator.

If none of that pans out, come back to us - there are other fuel filters and screens that should be looked at. See attached.View attachment Fuel filters and screens on BF 200 and BF 225.pdf

To morrow I am taking a portable fuel tank down and connect it to the fuel ball pump line to see if the problem could in the fuel line

Thanks for the support

I hooked up the portable tank I was to windy to go out. I started the engine before hooking up the tank
After hooking up the portable tank and starting I started to get an alarm not a steady alarm and no warning lights
would this be connected to the problem?

I repeat post #6. If you just hooked up an independent portable fuel tank, that doesn't address your stated issues and provides no diagnosis. It could be fuel pump, HP filter, dirty VST, low or high fuel pressure, or something else.

here's the latest connected external tank from tank to engine it still still does looses RPMs then stalls
ball is hard, water alarm goes off but cannot see any water in the separator (separator didn't sound until
after attaching separate tank). So I have to pull the boat to work on it.

I am going to replace the filters and see if that was the problem

I've learnt that filters should be changed every 100 hours/year whether you think they're OK or not. Unfortunately it seems the HP filter is usually the main culprit and is pretty difficult (read impossible) to change while on the water.

Last edited:
Water sensor is the fuel bowl next to the inline fuel filter on the engine itself with a wire coming out the bottom of it. If there is water in the system then that's he place to start and then see how far it's travelled through the fuel system

The water separator bowl on the engine does not look like it has water it nor does the water separator filter in the boat. I am pulling the boat bringing it home and changing all filters. I ordered new filters

Just to expand on what Ian was saying...

When you go to change filters, pull the on-board fuel/water separator and clean the bowl and float well with alcohol. Then test the float switch. It's simple to do. Unplug it and put an OHM meter on the two prongs of the connector. With the bowl upright, you should get no reading (open circuit - infinity.) Turn the bowl upside down and the circuit should close and you should get a closed circuit - zero to very little resistance. Make sure that the float moves easily and smoothly inside the bowl.

If sufficient water gets into that bowl, the float will rise and complete the circuit, triggering a very rapid beep alarm. No fault light will show on the key switch panel.

Had to call a mechanic he found the problem. Under the the part of the engine housing where the fuel line runs to the engine the hose was sucking closed

thanks for all your help

John

Back