Logo

115 Johnson Running Rough Under Load

101thwack

I have a 115 Johnson Model number TJ115TLETS. The problem I have been trying to fix is the motor starts and idles great will rev up in neutral smoothly, goes into forward and reverse fine, but when I get going once the boat gets to about 6-8mph, about quarter throttle, the engine starts bogging down (I dont have a tac), gets a little shake to it and just starts running rough. The boat will slow down until I pull the throttle back to the point when it runs smoothly again. If I leave the throttle higher it wont get so bad that it dies or cuts out though.

So first thing I did was siphon out the gas and put new rec fuel in, then I replaced the line from the tank to the motor which also had new connections on each end and a new primer bulb, then I replaced the in line fuel water separator filter. Next I bought two carburetor rebuild kits, took the carbs apart one at a time soaking them over night then cleaning them and reassembled with the new parts. At this point I noticed both float bowls were severely warped, one so bad that the gasket had actually sucked into the carb a bit, so I replaced both the old plastic float bowls with new aluminum ones, these also required new orifices for the jets. Thought that was the problem but got it all back together and still ran the same. Next I replaced plugs and wires making sure they were properly gaped even though the old didn't look bad. Next I replaced the in line fuel filter in the motor. Then today I replaced the power pack. Still runs the same. I have been working on this whenever responsibilities around home permit for about 4 weeks now. I have several ideas as to stuff I could try but I really wanted to have it running properly for our trip north this weekend. All the shops in my area say they are booked 3 weeks out. Frustrated with the amount of time and money invested. Any advice is appreciated.

Have you checked the compression? Since you have checked most things I would suggest to do that and if it's not up to par check the reed valves. Otherwise I would start suspecting the coils. Oh and a very simple one to check would be that you don't have an air leak in the fuel system, primer bulb has been the culprit for me many a time. Also you can try pumping the bulb see if that changes how the engine runs, if it does it might be a faulty fuel pump.

Back