Logo

1975 9.9 rude mega questions. Pump,tell tail, thrust mount...ect

So in a different thread... A peice of rubber in the exhaust of my motor is what I thought was a peice of the impeller... I was told it could be part of the thrust mount..... I figured out what that was and it raised another question for me....
When my engines running... Should water be coming out of the thrust mount. .

It runs s great... No overheating.i don't think... It gets warm though.
If water volume is escaping unnecessarily from the thrust mount, then that does lead me to believe that I am losing cooling ability of the pump...

Both the mount and the pump are both original 1975 OMC parts...
I had planned to go about doing the water pump... But now thinking about the mount as well..

It seems to me that if the pumps that old... It needs to go anyway... And the mount is old... So the water being pumped out around it might also affect the cooling.... (reduced flow volume due to loss around mount)
Are the 2 possibly connected to each other regarding water flow volume?

I know the trust mount isn't specifically about water control... It's a device to keep vibration and engine alignment proper... But I have that feeling of everything being symbiotic in some manner.... Intentional or not.

I hope y'all can understand my train of thought into this...

So to recap I see this as the water pump being original needs to be replaced before it does fail amazingly it hasn't but it is old and I'd rather do preventive maintenance then major repair after failure... and while I'm not getting play or vibration I see a lot of water coming out from around the thrust mount which means that water is not being pumped through the motor instead it's being lost out of what might possibly be worn seal or something of that matter which means that the volume of water going to the powerhead is reduced there for the cooling is reduced higher temperatures mean the possibility of gaskets or cracked heads or burning out the motor in some way or damaging something and then one way or another.... again preventive maintenance! I already need to do a lower gear oil change so what's the difference between taking a few screws loose versus a few more bolts loose and removing the piece of rubber that stuck into the exhaust for it which possibly could create higher back pressure which could lead to other problems like read damaged or backflow through the carburetors or reduced horsepower.... so the way I see it is I should probably replace the thrust mount because if that piece of rubber in my exhaust is not an impeller arm then it is piece of the thrust Mount which I was informed in a different post...

I guess my main question here is is it normal for a volume of water and how much volume of water to exit around the thrust mount on these motors and should I be concerned about that since it's not causing a problem for right now?

I don't have a Telltale on the motor which I would like to add at some point but I need someone to tell me how to add one.... Seeing is believing and I just want peace of mind to be able to have one like my 79 15hp did when I was a kid... I think it was a 1979...might of been a lil newer like early 80s...i was 13 yrs old. Either way.... I think it's essential to be able to SEE it and feel better than not and worry... Let alone have a failure due to NOT noticing a problem.

Having a tell tail... It saved my motor when I had my first boat when I saw it stop when going up silver river in Florida when weeds clogged up the intakes.... I run this boat in similar situations like that as well here in west NC lakes. Lots of weeds,, mud, and stuff in the real shallow water sometimes.

That leads me to a different question for how hot it should be when the water comes out? Any way to check the temperature and verify that it's running at safe temp? Mabey collect it in a coffee cup and use a thermometer? What temperature am I going for?

I am sorry for so many questions about all this stuff at once, especially when it comes to it all being connected to each other in some way or another.. And I appreciate all the help that I can get and really appreciate that everyone is so helpful!!

This motor was a true gift... I received it as a birthday /Father's Day / baby shower gift as my baby girl was born on Father's Day and 3 days before my birthday and it's very sentimental to me...
I could never just not use it to preserve it and I'm also scared of ruining my motor as it is so important to me... Plus it's almost identical to the first boat I ever had.... From the motor down to the hull it's just like having a childhood memory come back in real life. So to me it's priceless!

I consider myself a water rat... Proudly! And where I lived and where I came from... Growing up in water and boats... It probably saved me from a ton of problems in my life growing up in a high crime area of Florida (around Daytona Beach....
My goal is to raise my kid in the same way and for her birthday about 10 yrs from now, pass it on to her. There's just so much crap in the world and a wholesome pastime did me a life of good ... I want that for her to.

I make sure that she's at a beach... River... Lake... Creek just about 2 times a week and she loves to boat ride as well.

Anyways... Thanks again for the help!
Mike Berry

Oh yeah... My primer bulb won't get hard any more... It's brand new as is everything else... Tank and lines... Fittings. Clamps.... Everything.
I'm not getting any air in the lines, and no other running issues...
Mabey just a. Bad bulb... It worked like 3 times.... But not even 6 gallon of gas in it yet. ..
Bad one way valve?

Last edited:
BIG Post Mike...

Regarding water, as you mentioned, you need to do your pump. Especially since you do not know when it was previously done.
There are no tell tales on these motors as mentioned. But you should be getting water spray coming out of the exhaust relief hole in the middle of your exhaust housing just below your cowling (https://youtu.be/neUPhnZZKg8).
You SHOULD be able to put your fingers on top of the water cover and hold them there for a few seconds without burning yourself.
Better yet if you have an infrared thermometer to tell the temperature (I BELIEVE its ~145 Fahrenheit).

I would say that if you have water coming out around the upper motor mount (near steering bracket) that you should probably do those motors mounts sooner rather than later, since they actually hold your powerhead to the transom bracket and if you get a catastrophic failure, your powerhead can potentially be going for a swim.

Hopefully one of the more experienced guys can comment further on this, but that's my limited understanding of the situation.

Those mounts do NOT INTERFERE with cooling ability of the motor.-----They are very proud of those mounts and power head must be removed to replace them.----There are 2 at $90 each.-------Does the motor move a lot when you push / pull on the cowling ?

There's no play with the motor.... The water pump is getting replaced..
The water is coming out of the lowest point of the pivot... Nowhere near the powerhead.
I'll take a pic of where...

The water is very plentiful coming out the upper exhaust hole in the rear center relief hole...
I can hold my hand under the water coming out a few seconds.... 140f sounds close from what I can feel. That's at its hottest.

Back