Logo

4.3 GXI not running correctly

swtch7

Hey there! Any quick advice here would be appreciated!

My boat has twin VP's 4.3 GXI with 250 hours on them. The Starboard engine runs great, the port side not so much. Heres whats happening and the steps I have taken so far:

3 weeks ago - took the boat out with no problems, the engine ran great. Flushed and cleaned
2 weeks ago - the engine would not start without me feathering the throttle, I could get it started but as soon as I would not move the throttle the engine would dip down really low in RPM and turn off.
-thought it was fuel related so I did the following
-Swapped fuel lines between the two motors
-Swapped the Fuel pump assembly
-Swapped the IAC
After all of these things, both engines ran great in the driveway. Started every time, idle'd perfect and I could give it throttle and never an issue in the driveway.

This past weekend. Took the boat out for the first time since the parts swaps, I went about a mile on plane at 2800rpm and then the port side motor started having the EXACT same symptoms again. Felt like all of a sudden the engine was starving for fuel. Looked it up online and swapped the fuel pressure regulators and looked for debris, ran for another couple min with no problems and then the exact same issues again.

Any thoughts as to what to check next? I was thinking oil pressure sensor, but when looking at the oil pressure gauge it seemed to be steady right at 60psi. I'm still leaning towards something with fuel though since everytime I swap something and lose all the fuel pressure and then restart it, it seems to work. I'm starting to run out of ideas, but I love having two motors to swap parts and isolate.

Thank you in advance.

Back