Logo

Honda 130 Surge Issue

dcfar82

I have a 2000 Honda 130 engine that’s been giving me surge issues with the rpm. A spike an dip in power. Today the engine would go only as far as 4000 for a moment than kick in and go up in RPM. Yesterday I ran for 24 miles without an issue. The day before I was running at 4400 an had a loss of power to 3000. I could not go pass 3000 for a moment and then it kicked in. This issue has only occurred in last few weeks. Both my 130s were serviced a year ago. Since then I have replaced the racor a month ago. Should I go ahead and change other fuel filters? Could it be the spark plugs? They were changed a year ago to.

I have a 2000 Honda 130 engine that’s been giving me surge issues with the rpm. A spike an dip in power. Today the engine would go only as far as 4000 for a moment than kick in and go up in RPM. Yesterday I ran for 24 miles without an issue. The day before I was running at 4400 an had a loss of power to 3000. I could not go pass 3000 for a moment and then it kicked in. This issue has only occurred in last few weeks. Both my 130s were serviced a year ago. Since then I have replaced the racor a month ago. Should I go ahead and change other fuel filters? Could it be the spark plugs? They were changed a year ago to.[/QUOTE

First up, you are very brave running 24 miles out with a motor that's playing up. I would probably start with a fresh set of spark plugs although I am tending toward a cylinder dropping out and back in, ie possible spark issue ( usually a spark plug fails and that's it) . The drop in RPM you mention tells me you're probably only dropping one cylinder. When you remove the spark plugs, carefully inspect the plug caps that go down the tubes for hair line cracks and carbon tracking. If neither works you are going to have to find an assistant and when you have a drop in rpm, hopefully in flat calm water, pull the plug leads out one at a time using plastic pliers made specifically for that job so you don't get a violent jolt, and try and identify the offending cylinder. I have known the ignition coils to fail on one lead. Sorry, there's no easy way with these older motors. Start with those suggestions in the order I have put to you and see what you come up with.

Thankyou, I’m in the Bahamas and far from a Honda Tech. My father was a Mercury mechanic and that was way before 4 stroke and he immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was fuel but a friend of mine told me rarely do the secondary fuel filters on those engines go bad. I will check out the spark plugs and wires and get back to you!

The filters do block up but I don't see how it can run fine at times, usually a fuel blockage will have a constant effect on engine performance, not erratic. Your father should be able to help, the basics are the same, fuel, spark and compression being the requirements for an engine to run, have a go.

Changed the spark plugs but that didn’t help. I spoke with a Honda tech over here and he’s thinking it’s a fuel problem. He wants me to change out the high pressure fuel filter and the screen that’s in the vapor separator. It was not changed last year during the annual from my records. The filter on the front side of the engine, I’m guessing that’s the low pressure filter was changed last year. I will try that and if that doesn’t resolve it I will try the spark plugs wires.

High pressure fuel filter was really bad. Service guys last year didn’t change it and it seems it wasn’t changed in a long time. I’ve only had the boat for a year. Haven’t run the boat yet so will see what happens.

That'll cause an issue, although, as I said before, a blocked filter would usually cause a consistent drop in performance. See how you go .

It seemed to fix it after a sea trial. I’m going to do the other one and change all the others just to be safe. Thanks for your help iang!

Back