Logo

175 intermittent no spark after hot

Golddredger

Hey guys, ‘99 johnson ocean pro j175pxees carburated, 102 to 106 compression. 424hrs

Been working on this motor for about a year after a slew of problems from sitting after the owner had a stroke and left it in a storage yard for years. New power pack cdi, carbs rebuilt with new bowls , fuel in the pulse so new pump fixed that im so close!

Now my problem is ignition related, i have had to advance the timing roller arm a little more than i would have liked (1/16” ) gap past the stop and she runs great there but think there is a reason why i have to adust it to this point that exist somewhere else in the system. At lease once per trip she will idle rough after use then stall with no spark until cools completely then starts right up! Any common problems that would cause this hot no start? I appreciate any help in advance i just want to tow my 4 kids around on the tube all day without trouble thanks!!

Is it overcharging? Sounds like stator is overheating.

Thank you so much for the reply Im not sure if its over charging ill look into that process! I just took off the flywheel and everything “looks” brand new and shiny on the stator, i know this means nothing but read about melting goo that would be present lol!

That usually encapsulated stators, the only goo on the open style will be on the bobbin coils on stator, will look like black melted candle wax from coils.

That usually encapsulated stators, the only goo on the open style will be on the bobbin coils on stator, will look like black melted candle wax from coils.

Thanks again faztbullet!! Im seein a clear amber lookin coating on everything in there, hardened not tacky? Its super clean in there but you never konw till ya know haha!!

I dont have any testing equipment available yet! Just wondering if i should look to the optical sensor? The only major parts that aren't new is the stator, rectifier and optical sensor.....something is occasionally heating up and cutting spark!

Seen a used stator eBay for cheap with a 1 year guarantee, think ill gab it just to see if it clears up the advanced timing and intermittent spark

Illl post my results and wrenching history when i finally figure this (hopefully) last bug out

The only things that will stop spark are: power coil(org wires) that supply voltage to optical eye, stator charge coils supplies power to capacitor in pack or possible eye.

Back