Logo

225 Honda

Triplebbb

Looking at 2006 225 the price is right with 600 hours and was just wondering things I need to looking at for that may be a problem. Any input would be great.

Welcome to the Forum. There are many good folks on this forum that will give you good advice and help with your Honda.

These are extremely good outboards. I have over 2100 hours on my 2007 model. But as with any outboard they have had their issues and will display some weaknesses.

Over the years I've accumulated a list of possible issues on the BF200/BF225. This is a good starting point for a detailed inspection of the engine. List is attached.
View attachment Honda Gripe List.pdf

You can pull engine fault codes using a paper clip. Attached is the procedure.
View attachment Procedure for Getting Fault Codes.pdf

I'll try to upload a list of fault codes. (This may not work.)
View attachment MIL fault codes.pdf

Find out from the current owner if he knows whether or not Service Bulletin #56 has been performed. That SB describes a problem with the original exhaust tubes, and describes the procedure for replacing them with redesigned exhaust tubes that mitigate the problem. If he doesn't know, call Honda Marine Customer Service in Atlanta with your engine's serial number and see if they have a record of replacement under warranty. If you need a copy of SB #56, send an e-mail to me at [email protected] to request a copy. Boats.net sells the replacement kit for about $105 the last time I looked. I've been told that it will take a trained marine tech about 5 hours to replace them.

Download the Owners Manual from Honda Marine. It's free.

If you plan to do any of your own maintenance and repair, purchase the official Helm Shop Manual. It's about $126 on eBay. It will pay for itself many, many times over.

The key to keeping these engines in good shape is to run them often and be rigorous about pulling maintenance IAW with the maintenance schedule in the owners manual.

Welcome to the Forum. There are many good folks on this forum that will give you good advice and help with your Honda.

These are extremely good outboards. I have over 2100 hours on my 2007 model. But as with any outboard they have had their issues and will display some weaknesses.

Over the years I've accumulated a list of possible issues on the BF200/BF225. This is a good starting point for a detailed inspection of the engine. List is attached.
View attachment 20338

You can pull engine fault codes using a paper clip. Attached is the procedure.
View attachment 20340

I'll try to upload a list of fault codes. (This may not work.)
View attachment 20341

Find out from the current owner if he knows whether or not Service Bulletin #56 has been performed. That SB describes a problem with the original exhaust tubes, and describes the procedure for replacing them with redesigned exhaust tubes that mitigate the problem. If he doesn't know, call Honda Marine Customer Service in Atlanta with your engine's serial number and see if they have a record of replacement under warranty. If you need a copy of SB #56, send an e-mail to me at [email protected] to request a copy. Boats.net sells the replacement kit for about $105 the last time I looked. I've been told that it will take a trained marine tech about 5 hours to replace them.

Download the Owners Manual from Honda Marine. It's free.

If you plan to do any of your own maintenance and repair, purchase the official Helm Shop Manual. It's about $126 on eBay. It will pay for itself many, many times over.

The key to keeping these engines in good shape is to run them often and be rigorous about pulling maintenance IAW with the maintenance schedule in the owners manual.

Thank you so much !!

Back