Logo

Suspected bad power pack

RoyBrew

I just finished rebuilding my 1995 Evinrude 88 hp E88tsleoc. When I first tried to start it, I had spark only on #1 cylinder. I checked all connections and rechecked the wire color to the coils. I finally got a spark on all four cylinders, but it seemed a little sporadic like it was coming and going at first? Thought maybe the cheap spark gap gage was the problem. Took it out after running on muffs. Start's up fine then sounds like 1 or 2 cylinders quit firing then starts firing again and smooths out.

Got it home and started with the diagnosis described in the manual. First thing mentioned was Indexing Flywheel. I performed the check as the book said to. All 4 tdc for each piston were marked on the flywheel. When started and idling #1 plug wire connected to timing light, the #3 mark was showing at timer pointer. #3 plug wire connected to timing light and #1 mark showing at pointer. Then #2 plug wire connected showing #4 at pointer, and #4 connected showing #2 at pointer. Then #2 & #4 quit firing. I rechecked, 4th time, the wire color connection. I didn't see the numbers shifting on flywheel. Gave it up for the night frustrated, but I think it's the power pack.

Best I can tell the spark at the spark gage looked sporadic especially on #2 & #4 when I was checking them earlier.

Any advice? Acts like the last motor I had when power pack went bad.

Possibly the power pack assuming you have the wires set correctly as you said. I would also check the trigger. Maybe even pull the flywheel and check the harness going to the trigger and the stator.

Possibly the power pack assuming you have the wires set correctly as you said. I would also check the trigger. Maybe even pull the flywheel and check the harness going to the trigger and the stator.

Yes all wires look good. I just finished rebuilding it, and looking at all wires and connections. Got a power pack ordered. I'm starting to feel like this motor is bleeding me of time and money.

Good grief! New power pack and ignition switch. Started another post because now the motor won't stop running. I can't even to get it to stall.

Back