Logo

Neutral Safety Switch on ZF Hurth

matta0413

Contributing Member
I have Crusader 8.1 motors and Hurth Transmissions. The Starboard motor is giving me problems starting. The neutral switch is not reading right. I have to play with the shifter to get the engine to start even though I know the engine is in neutral. Where is the Neutral sensor that the engine is reading? I do not see anything on the outside of the tranny.

I don't think the 'engine reads any sensor'...

The neutral safety switch is on the top of the control block....the starter control, from the key, usually interrupt that or the return, at the slave sloenoid or the starter relay...depending on the vintage. The starter circuit typically uses YELLOW w/ RED trace wiring....

from the pic, it looks like it at the top, on the RH side, looking at the coupler, from the shaft end....

from the pic, it looks like it at the top, on the RH side, looking at the coupler, from the shaft end....

I found it. I pulled it out and tested it. When I first tested, it did not seem to be working. But after working it a few times it tested fine. I reinstalled it and cleaned all of the connections. First start up it worked fine. Then I shut it down, moved the shifter a few times and could not get the engine to refire. I am going to order a new switch just for ha ha's. Is it possible the shift cable needs some fine adjustment? I replaced the shift cable this year and it is in the exact same place as the old one.

If you checked it with a digital meter, it may not tell the whole story.....they use a very low current.

The cable may need some fine tuning....not sure how Hurth did it but most setups have a decent tolerance band such that the switch will work as long as the gear really is in neutral...

Glas that one is resolved.....I'm sure you know the other side is likely to follow suite in the future....

Back