Logo

Yamaha Electronic Control, I Cant figure out how to increase RPMs while in neutral ??

phil2302

Hello!
I feel less than smart saying this but as the thread title says I cant figure out how to increase the RPMs while in neutral.
Is it not possible with these new no cable electronic Yamaha engines?
In the past I liked to bump the engine speed a little bit in neutral to get the water pump tell tale going and warm the engine a little at about 1000-1100 rpms. Cant see anyway to do this with the electronic binacle.
Any advice will be appreciated.
THANKS

I don't think it is doable with the electronic controls. Not needed. The engine is designed to automatically run a bit faster than normal when it is cold. The idle speed will come down once the motor is out of warm up mode.

Last edited:
Thanks Boscoe. I bought the boat and motor privately and the fellow I got it from has no clue about it either. The Yamaha manual makes no mention of this. It runs fine however It does not idle fast on start up as you describe. It starts at 700 rpm and idles steady. It just bugs me that I cant figure it out. I have had many Yamaha engines in the past and this is a first. I feel there must be a means of revving this thing a little and there are times when that can be helpful. Googling the question comes up with zilch.

I have looked at the parts catalog. There is no way to "fast idle" the motor. As you note. the owner's manual makes no mention of this. Rightfully so it appears. Nothing to figure out.

Actually, there is no reason to do so. The motor is computer controlled. Just let it do its job.

I read about folks racing a motor in neutral. Maybe the motor maker changed the design to prevent folks from doing this.

In our EFI automobiles and trucks, I can't recall the last time I had to press the accelerator pedal to fast idle the motor.

Thanks Boscoe,
I surrender to progress ;0)
However ...
In our cars we can give a rev in park or neutral to examine any engine sound we are skeptical of to see if it changes with rpm.
In my 50 years of owning outboards I found it helpful to bump the idle to get the water pump moving water and to also evaluate engine sounds when diagnosing and most importantly when winterizing and fogging. Old habits die hard. 1st world problems.

I don't know the controls you have, but on a number of other brands you hold the station select switch down as you move into gear and that prevents the gears from changing as you advance the throttle. Whether Yamaha has incorporated this idea I don't know.

Hello.

You have to press and hold the free throttle switch on the side of the control box. Then move the lever forward, and release the switch after the indicator light starts blinking.

Yes, try pushing this button.
2dgq8o7.jpg

Back