Logo

2003 Honda 225 Lower Unit Leak

markjmillsap

Hello,
I just noticed a small oil drip from my Honda 225. It appears to be motor oil. I have no experience with outboards outsihonda2.jpghonda1.jpgde of normal maintenance. Any ideas what it could be. Had planned on going out tomorrow. Would it be safe? TIA.

Picture doesn't reveal how much oil you're losing. Have you change the oil & filter lately?

As long as the oil is within the high and low on your dipstick and there is no water in it (i.e. cloudy), then you should be safe for a few days. However, an oil leak on an outboard is never a good thing, so you will need to track it down. First place to check is around your oil filter. Next place to check is the valve covers. Beyond that it gets complicated.

Thanks for the reply. The oil leak is minimal. It rarely even drips off. Oil level is full and looks normal. I took the cowling off and tilted and noticed a couple of drops coming out the water flush holes. It looks like the oil originates in the shift shaft area. How serious and expensive could this be? I ran it yesterday with no issues.

It's hard to tell without knowing specifically where the oil is leaking from. There is a water tube that runs up through the oil pan. It's possible that one of the sealing grommets has failed. See items 6 & 7 on the linked diagram.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/225hp/bf225a3-la-2003/oil-pan

I've never had to replace one, so I don't know the difficulty, but I suspect it is extensive. Hopefully one of the Honda gurus will jump in on this issue.

Back