Logo

Only goes in reverse

Quicksilver

Advanced Contributor
A buddy gave me a merc motor and I hooked up a battery and fuel line and started it in the driveway, then I put it on my boat and launched it, the problem is when I push the button on the throttle? lever it ran backwards. we took it out of the water and turned the prop backwards but when we fiered it up it still went in reverse! so I hooked the battery backwards and then it ran in forward, I don't know much about these motros but shouldn't it go forewards with the prop on right? also when I turn the key all it does is light up a red light.It's a Merc 78 not a thunderbolt.

Last edited:
Need to learn how to operate that control box.------That motor does not have gearshift.----------It runs one way for forward.-----Then you stop the motor for " silent neutral " and start it up again with the motor running backwards for reverse.-----Made in the late 1950's.-----Also known as a " dockbuster " by those who collect them.-------It has 2 pinion gears on top of the starter yes ?-----It also has a " left hand " prop on it.

Yes your correct about the starter - it's like the old sea-doos that would start and go in foreward only. I'll have to put everything back the way it was and try to run it right. I've heard about new cars that do it too.

Back