Logo

Battery isolator setup question

Hunterdan777

So I'm thinking about adding an isolator to my two battery setup... I already have an external charger as shown in the pic so that I can plug my boat in when not in use. My main battery starts my motor (bildge/and live well) and my auxiliary battery basically does everything else which includes my trolling motor, pronav gps, radio and graph. What I was looking to do was add the isolator to charge the secondary battery if it gets low and was wondering if this would work... I have a 75 Horse Mariner... input on this is much appreciated and also any kind of diagram would help
Thanks,
DanScreenshot_20190506-090920_Facebook-360x740.jpgScreenshot_20190517-073025_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Personally, I'd use an ACR (auto charging relay) in place of the isolator.....best results occur if both batteries are of the same type .....

You can get the schematic from whoever made the part you choose - if they don't offer one, I'd buy another brand...

And use the proper material to add to the wiring as needed....you wont be sorry to spend money in that depeartment...

There is a schematic that comes with that piece in the picture. But in general is one better than the other

I prefer the ACR as it has no additional voltage drop and the associated heat generation. The isolator's I've seen are typically high amperage diodes with heat sinks....Apollo technology....

Use an ACR or VSR (same thing but different name from different brands). Blue Seas, BEP are two common ones. You will lose a lot of charge if you use diode isolators due to the losses in them. There are I believe also some types of lossless isolators available now but I haven't played with one yet.

I agree...... an ACR or VSR will serve your needs much better. Isolators are old school, and offer an inherent .7 voltage loss.

Rather than making direct battery connections, I would take your "charge leads" to the rear of your MBSS terminals #1 and #2.
This is schematically identical and eliminates the battery Rat's Nest that we often see.

MBSS 2 batt system outboard engine.jpg

Back