Logo

Chasing an Electrical Problem

TB#447

I own a 2004 J90PLSRR and have been having a devil of a time locating an electrical problem. Started out by losing rpms and slowly stalling, then progressed to suddenly dying and wouldn't restart for awhile. Started with the obvious stuff; fuel, fuel filters, fuel line, found a bad gasket at the vapor separator and replaced...still acting up. Checked spark with an inline spark tester...fine when running but nothing when it won't fire up. I replaced the coils, no luck; put in a new power pack, the same result. Now I'm at the rectifier/regulator; checked the resistance on the yellow and yellow with trace to ground, reversed polarity and got the same readings ~87 kOhms on yellow and 29 kOhms on yellow with trace. Shouldn't one polarity be zero/infinity? My limited experience with older smaller outboards tells me the diode(s) are bad.
My Seloc Manual doesn't give me any expected ranges for my 90, neither does it clearly explain what me charging coil voltage output should be.
Anyone have any experience with this issue or happen to have the magic numbers I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

The Selco manual makes a good fire starter or emergency toilet paper. Sounds like your loosing power coil(org wire) as that is voltage to eye.

The CDI link was a great help. Tests tell me I've got a bad regulator/rectifier. Local E/J dealer didn't have one in stock so I ordered it from MarineEngine.com. Thanks to both of your for respondiing.

Back