Logo

I Overheated and think i fixed everything - any recommendations

Tuttimon

I have a Volvo penta I/O 5.0GiPEFS and DP-SM stern drive.
I overheated and fried a bunch things. i changed impeller, exhaust boots (upper and lower), cleaned and refinished exhuast down pipes, and replaced both Minifolds and risers. All other coolant hoses were new/and or in good shape. Bellows look look and are soft.

First question - did i not think of something that may have burnt?

second Question - This may sound amatuer but i have never ran this boat (out of water) on muffs so i wasnt expecting what i saw when i did. Ran fresh water hose on muffs to see if water was circulating properly in engine. All flows well, excpet i expected the water to exit the exhaust ports on the stern drive. It actually dumps out by the outside of the transom. No water is entering the boat but i wasnt expecting an exhaust port there.
is this normal? or should i be concerned when i put the baot back in the water?

thanks to anyone who can help out.

Those exhaust ports are normal. But you didn't mention changing the flappers. They are in the down pipe after the elbows. Hopefully your old ones burnt away and there not stuck in that exhaust port you found. Which will cause a restriction for your exhaust..

Thank you both. Glad to know i dont have to pull those pipes apart to see if anything is clogged.

I also found a service bulliten for these flappers that VPenta suggests to remove them if you have them.
bullitin 25-2 5 01

Last edited:
Back