Logo

225 hp volvo penta diesel will it drive my hatteras 32

guatman

i have a 1984 hatteras 32 weight 18000, currently have crusader 454 but can get good deal on remaned penta 225 with turbos will this plane out my boat is it enough horsepower

They should....if they are geared and propped correctly.

If they are the smaller 4 cylinders, I think they will be working pretty hard.....for 18000#, I think there are 'better' options available...

thank you for the info they are 4 cyl turbos but i am paying 10k each for remaned no hours, all new other like alternator water pump ect and transmission's --- i think is a good deal. wont be as fast but will still cruise around 20 knots i think am i in the ball park. i am loosing 2000lbs replacing the crusaders and i removed the generator so i am around 15 k now. what do you think again thank you

They should....if they are geared and propped correctly.

If they are the smaller 4 cylinders, I think they will be working pretty hard.....for 18000#, I think there are 'better' options available...

Boat is heavy but yes a pair of 225's will get you up on the plane I would expect. What engine model are they?

I have the 41B engines in my 12000 lb boat. Great engine. 200hp each. Some minor mods were made.
I run A6 props. You might consider A5 props. I get 35 mph top end at 3900 rpm loaded. Cruise at 30 mph
at about 3400 rpm. Very economical and reliable. No rubber hoses or plastic like the P model all metal
with O rings. Only question is your description was of a 4 cyl and the 41B is a 6 cyl?

Attachments

• IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 44
Hi cannot thank you enough. i have the 6 cyl 41b, my mistake saying the 4 cyl. so after your experience i feel much better :eek:
my logic was getting me take out 2 crusader 454 at 350 hp and replace with twin 200hp makes no sense buttttt they are diesel and higher torque, so i got them again thank you so much for your input

I have the 41B engines in my 12000 lb boat. Great engine. 200hp each. Some minor mods were made.
I run A6 props. You might consider A5 props. I get 35 mph top end at 3900 rpm loaded. Cruise at 30 mph
at about 3400 rpm. Very economical and reliable. No rubber hoses or plastic like the P model all metal
with O rings. Only question is your description was of a 4 cyl and the 41B is a 6 cyl?

Back