Logo

BF150 fuel issue?

Blaze

Hi,

I have a BF150 2008, new to me this season. Seemed to be going fine when first launched for the season a month ago but since a week ago it bogs down when over half throttle. Max rev under load is below 4000 rpm.

Read all the interesting posts on the forum and I have so far:

* Changed LP and HP fuel filter, cleaned water separator bowl. HP filter was completely deformed so I thought I had found the issue there.
* Drained VST (fuel looked clean, only few drops of dirty water)
* Bypassed fuel tank, remote grommet and Racor by running fresh 98 oct fuel directly from pony tank to water separator.
* If I push key on-off a couple of times to prime the HP side the boat flies like a rocket for 20-30 seconds and then slowly goes back to its current rev limit of 4000 RPM.
* I had the fuel regulator removed today, looked fresh. I was surprised to see that there was no obvious pressure on the fuel in here even though I had just shut off the engine. I even "key-primed" the HP pump with the regulator off to try to see the flow. It's flowing but I guess I can’t tell if it's enough without having a fuel pressure gauge.

I am thinking of fuel restriction on the HP side. I would be thankful for any advice on where to look next, what components usually fail.

Cheers

Blaze,

Have you looked at the "INSULATOR, FUEL PUMP - [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]16718-ZY3-000 " That sits under the high pressure pump ? Its a very fine gauze filter screen and can easily restrict fuel flow if partially blocked. Its a pain to remove... [/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]Cheers
ScreenHunter_02 May. 15 07.46.gif

I've taken mine out before by prying the tabs with screw drivers from the inside then pulling really hard with needle nose pliers.

Hi, I got to the point where I have the HP pump housing with the pump inside, but how do I get the actual fuel pump out of the housing to get to the screen? Is there a release process where I need to turn it or I just pull hard with pliers?

Thanks.

Problem solved yesterday! I happened to break the HP fuel pump during disassembly, just to find out that the mesh filter below was perfectly clean. Anyway, the HP pump was one of the main suspects so I was planning to get this exchanged anyway. While I had all the parts apart I was also checking all fuel lines and connections and noticed that the return inlet from the fuel pressure valve was blocked, possibly due to debis from the bad HP filter? BTW my return inlet sits right at the top of the pump, and not on the actual VST as seen on most drawings. That said, I do not know if it was the previous pump that was weak or the blocked return inlet that did the job but engine is now running nicely again!

Thanks guys for all support!

// Blaze (yes kids named the boat...;))

Back