Logo

2018 BF200 4-stroke outboard oil level rising?

DABUTZ

Why does my BF 200 4-stroke outboard oil level rise? Last Sunday was our first outing on the year and when i checked the oil before going out the level was high, about a 1/4" on the dipstick. Boat was stored indoors all winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oil had 30 hours on it before winterization and storage, no oil change prior to storage and the marina did perform the rest of the motor winterization.

Motor tilted exactly the same when checking the oil ??-----Are you sure marina did ot change the oil as part of a " winterizarion ?

yes the motor was in the same position while checking, marina said they did not do an oil change and my receipt / work order does not reflect an oil change.

There is only two things that will cause "making oil" - fuel or water mixes in with the oil. Often, this will happen when the engine is running too cold. Is the oil cloudy/milky? If so, that is caused by water in the oil. Smell the oil and see if you can detect the smell of gasoline. Pull & check your t-stats to make sure one or both are not stuck open.

If none of the above, then it's possible that the engine oil was over-filled at the last change out. There are several reasons that can happen - e.g. plain carelessness, all of the old oil was not drained out, but you still added the 8.3 quarts (assuming new filter) that the manual calls for, etc.

It could be something else far more serious, but eliminate the obvious first.

Back