Logo

454 steaming on port side

Joe Hoshock

This is a 454 baha boat . After this motor runs a while it start to steam on the port bank .Temperature does not get extreme ,but port elbow gets pretty hot.This is a 1988 with the check balls on the thermostat housing.No water in oil Could my manifold and elbow cause this. Motor fresh 2 yrs. ago.

So, I getting a single engine with 'dual exhausts'

"Motor fresh 2 yrs ago" means exactly what? long block, complete factory rebuild, etc???

When was the raw water pump last serviced? what was done to it?

complete rebuild, engine water pump changed,not the raw one yet. checked water manifold everything seems to be open. remachined top of manifold and riser there was a little warpage about .03". then pressure tested manifold for leakage,none.

Last edited:
sorry, no risers,just elbows.elbows were had wires poked through them and blown out , all the ports seemed open . my terminology is about as good as my typing, a bit to be desired. running this motor on ear muffs.raw water pump is on order.

I don't know . but the inside of the manifold and elbow show no leakage,they are carboned up like just exhaust.The ports on the elbows are open ,but could they closed up enough to restrict flow?

Usually, on the elbows, the rust crud builds up inside the water passage, within the elbow and restricts the flow of water into the port.

If they are carbooned up and don't show any signs of major rust, they may be ok....

You have a new raw water pump enroute....that can only help....

The other thing to check is the oil cooler....also known as the U-cooler.....zinc pencil residuals will accumulate at the bottom....

Back