Logo

6V53 White smoke start up

stevec

" Gentlemen,

I have recentl

" Gentlemen,

I have recently purchased a converted 34' Cray fishing boat which is now used for pleasure running. I am not a mechanic but I can use tools and have repaired many petrol engines.

When I bought the boat the DD 6v53 210hp fired first crank, no smoke. Some weeks later I ran out of fuel and then my troubles started.

We had considerable trouble getting her running (properly) again and an ongoing raw fuel in the bilge condition which was not there before. Fuel lines were checked, and replaced in some instances. The motor continued to run but progressivley developed this "several cranks" to cold start as well as the fuel leak (makes sense so far).

Anyhow, what was eventually tracked down was a leaking (back side) seal on the fuel pump which only dripped noticeably at over 1500 rpm. Eventually I climbed into the bilge whilst running to track this down. This all took some weeks of part time efforts and the boat was still used during this time. A factory rebuild pump was installed.

So, all is now well apart from the fact that she now takes several cranks to cold start (as if building up fuel pressure, which she never previously did) AND noticeable clouds of white smoke on cold start (which she never did previously).

Once warm absolutely fine, even on restart. Engine otherwise seems to burn no oil ? No misfiring no noticeable peformance loss.

What damage am I likely to have done ??

Regards, Steve Campbell "

" sounds like you may have sco

" sounds like you may have scored injector plungers ,by not knowing how to prime fuel system after runing out of fuel. "

more likly a bit retarded tur

more likly a bit retarded turn pump a bit to advance

I have a 453 that is also blow

I have a 453 that is also blowing copious amounts of white smoke on start up and once warmed goes away. It only started after my last service. Is the answer the same - possible scoring of the injector plungers?

"The 2 stroke detroits use a u

"The 2 stroke detroits use a unit injector that developes fuel pressure during its injection phase. So there is no pump. The scoring sounds accurate but I would check the Govenor adjustments where with these engines they are "critical". All adjustments must be exact, buffer air gap, high speed spring, ect, and then get into the fuel rack adjustments and possibly the deceleration plunger on the one side of the rail. Also filters! I work on them every day where as Military applications still use them."

Back