Logo

Overhauling 79 Chrysler CV223 but considering repower and sterndrive options

ftn807

It has an original m360 std rotation engine. I noticed water in engine from leaking exhaust manifolds. Bought new manifolds and risers as well as alternator. I have a new exhaust boot from previous owner and was told the Chrysler 300 sterndrive had maintenance done to it before i bought it. Never got it in the water because id fix something and not get back to finishing for a long time. Now committed to full overhaul. Gutted stringers and about to with transom as well due to rot and carpenter ants. Ive decided to just replace the engine with a rebuilt. The fact that the sterndrive may be ok but that it sat for about a decade I don't know if i want to put a new engine with rebuilt boat on an old sterndrive. Am I complicating things by thinking of changing thingsleading me to possibly needing new steering if incompatible, ect. Ive read in forums that a Volvo penta AQ might be an option. Before I work on the transom i figured i should get input on how best to go forward. Thanks

It has an original m360 std rotation engine. I noticed water in engine from leaking exhaust manifolds. Bought new manifolds and risers as well as alternator. I have a new exhaust boot from previous owner and was told the Chrysler 300 sterndrive had maintenance done to it before i bought it. Never got it in the water because id fix something and not get back to finishing for a long time. Now committed to full overhaul. Gutted stringers and about to with transom as well due to rot and carpenter ants. Ive decided to just replace the engine with a rebuilt. The fact that the sterndrive may be ok but that it sat for about a decade I don't know if i want to put a new engine with rebuilt boat on an old sterndrive. Am I complicating things by thinking of changing thingsleading me to possibly needing new steering if incompatible, ect. Ive read in forums that a Volvo penta AQ might be an option. Before I work on the transom i figured i should get input on how best to go forward. Thanks

The old Chrysler drives lived a short life as they were problematic.

During this era, Chrysler engines can be seen mated to the Volvo Penta AQ series cone clutch stern drives via Borg Warner components.
The AQ series requires a larger transom cut-out, so this is generally a fairly easy conversion.
Borg Warner components make for an easy adaptation from Chrysler to AQ series Volvo Penta.

I would be happy to give more info.

In all fairness the 300 drive wasn't discontinued because of it being problematic... It was discontinued because Chrysler Marine was....
They didn't come out until '77, first with the HA and then the upgraded HB model, which primarily just inverted the shift forks, but
'79 was the end of the road for Chrysler boats...The outboards staggered on until '81 then, as we know, survived as Force....

I redid my transom and kept the 300 drive because that was why I bought the boat. I never saw one before...
I even had a Volvo/Chrysler bell housing I picked up just to keep a guy from throwing it away but as luck would have it
I just sold it a few months ago....

The Volvo would be a prudent move since some parts are still available. I believe the 270 was primarily used...
However, I didn't have trouble cross referencing things like bell housing bearings and if you got it pressure checked I'm sure you could find seals to match.
If the drive is what they say it is I would go for it but once you cut the transom out your committed because of it's size....much bigger than the Volvo.

If you decide to go the Volvo route let me know.... I could always use a spare

Jack

A Chrysler I/B Borg Warner flywheel cover should be easy to find.

The Volvo would be a prudent move since some parts are still available.
Many of these parts are available and will be for years.

I believe the 270 was primarily used...
The 270 and 280 were commonly used behind a Chrysler engine.
I would go with a much later system........ SP-C or DP-C for example.

However, I didn't have trouble cross referencing things like bell housing bearings and if you got it pressure checked I'm sure you could find seals to match.
With the Chrysler engine, you would be using a B/W flywheel cover with the B/W (slash) Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing.

If the drive is what they say it is I would go for it but once you cut the transom out your committed because of it's size....much bigger than the Volvo.
I'm not following that one.
My suggestion (to the OP) was to go with the AQ series Volvo Penta, of which does require a larger transom cut-out.
Plus.... the larger foot print (of the V/P transom shield) places the torque across a greater area of the structural transom.

Wow, thank you for the help. 300hb I believe I will be changing over so the 300 will likely be available. Ricardo I would appreciate any/all the help you'd be willing to provide. I have no idea where to look up compatible part numbers, ect. I'm pretty green to this, but very mechanically inclined. I was a nuclear machinist mate in the Navy. What might I be looking at cost wise (ballpark) for the conversion? Parts only.

The 300 cut out is half again as big...much more squared off across the top. Although both drives are very similar in design...cone clutches, inverted yoke, etc.
Bill Hurst who designed the 300 skirted Volvo's patent's awfully close... There's a glut of drives on ebay to choose from now.. If I had that bell housing you'd
be half way there....!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Pent...090906?hash=item23bbc4c79a:g:A0EAAOSwGhFczGpM
The above listed item is a Volvo Penta 280, 285 or 275 double exhaust relief transom shield.

I see a SP C here.....looks similar to the 300 but not bigger...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Pent...=152956732863bf91539be1c44cc2996b574a6b5b0c72
I'd need to look more closely.... but I believe that the above listed item pre-dates the SP-C and/or DP-C drive.

Back