Logo

Mariner 40 2 str 2002 Main Telltale weak, small one not running at all

Using muffs the telltale was quite weak and small one has stopped completely, even when motor is warmed up. Probably need new impeller but what other issues need to be looked at????

What do you mean main tell tale and small one.?
Is water very hot coming out? Try putting the engine in a bucket of water and run it. Sometimes muffs can let air In

Thanks Mechanicman. Yes the water pressure was very weak and the muffs were just not providing enough flow.
In a barell the main telltale is strong small one dribbles at idle stronger if revs up. Water hot but not very hot.
The small telltale comes out of the engine near the thermostat goes accross the front of the engine through a metal pipe on the carb "lid" and back out to the outlet.
I have attached a [video]<[email protected]>[/video]video of the engine running in the barell.

IMG_20190531_133800313.jpg
Found some water in fuel lines so bought new tank dont trust old one not to let in rain.Cleaned carb and engine now runs and starts better.
Both telltales running at idle.
Small one is warm with little bit of steam but temperature tolerable on my hand.
However I now have noticed water coming out oval exhaust port on shaft just under powerhead. Is this serious??Should be visible on photo

Looks like from the video that the water pump is working fine. Common for water to come out the oval exhaust port too. Use an inferred heat gun or melt sticks to check power head temp. Try to keep the water level in the bucket above the water pump (which sits on top of the lower gearcase) and carefully try laying your hand on the engine. If it stays cool/warm your engine should be fine.

Back