Logo

Oil change issue, Merc 4.3L

vnk

Hello,
Last fall I got a 1999 Capri 1850 with 4.3L Merc.

Trying to change engine oil and got an issue. Before changing the oil I saw the level on the dipstick is above full. ok, I pumped out the oil (warm engine), Waited some time to let the rest oil get down. Few more moments with pump. Great, empty. Strange, overall I pumped out like 2-2.5L of oil??? Changed the filter. added fresh oil, approx 2L, checking dipstick - above level. WTF??? waited, check again - too much. Pumping out "fresh" oil. Coming out like 2L of oil. Oil is dirty. Not as the old one, but not as clear as I would expect. inserting dipstick no oil inside. poor back in the same 2-2.5L - over the level. Found spec for the dipstick - length is correct.

Does someone have an idea of what is happening? I am not a mechanic, but stuff like oil change and other basic services for my previous bot, cars etc I've been doing all my life.

Thank you

If my conversion is correct,

2 liters Equals ~ 2.11 Quarts.

A typical V6 holds ~ 4.5 quarts with filter = ~4.3 liters with filter

It sounds to me that you are not getting all the oil out correctly.

What method are you using

If my conversion is correct,

2 liters Equals ~ 2.11 Quarts.

A typical V6 holds ~ 4.5 quarts with filter = ~4.3 liters with filter

It sounds to me that you are not getting all the oil out correctly.

What method are you using
Electrical pump. I can assume pump is not good, but there is nothing at the bottom of the stick or the nylon tube I use to pump out oil. the very bottom tip of the tube is getting dirty in oil, there is no oil in the dipstick pipe.

The dip stick has a garden hos thereded fitting on it.
It is designed for a hand pump.

Maybe purchase a hand pump and see if you can get any more oil out.

The dip stick TUBE is ~ 1/4 inch off the bottom of the oil pan. It gets 99% of the oil out that way.

My assumption is the oil pump tube you are using isnt getting to the correct depth. You can always (if easily accessible) remove the oil pan drain plug and be absolutely sure all the oil is drained.

The dip stick has a garden hos thereded fitting on it.
It is designed for a hand pump.

Maybe purchase a hand pump and see if you can get any more oil out.

The dip stick TUBE is ~ 1/4 inch off the bottom of the oil pan. It gets 99% of the oil out that way.

My assumption is the oil pump tube you are using isnt getting to the correct depth. You can always (if easily accessible) remove the oil pan drain plug and be absolutely sure all the oil is drained.

Agree, 99% would be acceptable, not a surgery room:)
But my concern is the "difference" between 99% and 50%.
I am almost sure that the pumping out is the most likely gives me close to 99%.
It is a first time I am touching this engine (purchased it in last fall). Is it possible the previous owner did not changed oil as expected and with years it build inside sort of hard residue in the bottom? Is it possible or not? I did a drive test in the fall, was getting above 4k rpm, oil pressure looks fine and did a compression test.

With todays oil, sludge is very UNlikely.

Confirm dipstick tube where it is in the engine block is all the way in. The tube typically has a small flange that will sit on the block casting, flush.
If the tube was messed with or came loose it could be up higher than it should be.
If this is the case, that could explain why you might not be seeing issues.

Back