Logo

what to do w hull

KbSeaRay

hello got a new boat (to me) 97 searay 210.. cleaned the hull..took lots of pressure and star brite hull cleaner...when done noticed fiberglass showing through in some areas down by the keel...what to do...scanned videos for help..not too much out there.. maybe paint the bottom or gel coat it...but how...sitting on trailer in garage...mayb paint the very lower area jus to the bunk boards???? n what products work best?? any links to diy vids
Thanks KB NewB w Sea Ray

and another question...buffed the top blue ring around the boat..its about 10 inches wide...not a decal...has hard water stains n some scratches...hit it w the turtle stuff "fine" didnt touch the hard water stains..but its shiny n bright blue :) question, why is my buffer pad blue? Thick wool type.. is the blue from paint? do i need to step up the grit to get the hard water droplet stains out...theres a second lower 2 inch blue ring around the boat thats a decal...mayb the blue on the buffer pad came from that?? is the top blue ring (not a decal) blue gelcoat ?? Thanks again if any out there knows this stuff :)

Last edited:
Your best to use gel coat for your hull repairs. It's much stronger. You may have to lift your boat off the trailer using a strong 3 ton floor jack at the back of the boat under the drain plug. Use a piece of hardwood between the jack and the boat. And lift slowly. Once you get the boat off the bunks .inspect if you need repairs there. If you do. Use more hard wood at the back. Prop boat up from trailer or bunks.
For your buffing issues... depending on how chalky your blue stripe is. You should be using a medium grit buffing compound. And a good buffer. I use meguires buffing compound.
If you see blue on the buffing pad something is painted.
Then use a fine grit . Then a polishing compound. Then a good carrnoba wax

Thanks...lotts to learn here :) The hard water stains came off w 50/50 muriatic acid n water :) I will get better pics of hull in daylight. Hard to see the chalky areas. maybe it was the gel coat not fiberglass that was all sparkly and made my shammy white..Time for MOM ..bye boat cya tomorrow :)

Attachments

• 20190512_095024.jpg
    20190512_095024.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190512_095043.jpg
    20190512_095043.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190512_095320.jpg
    20190512_095320.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190512_095101.jpg
    20190512_095101.jpg