Logo

What is it?????

raymondfj40

Hi I'm new to the forum I acquired a 1986 bayliner cabin cruiser, 26'. The bilge pumps in the engine sump were completely gummed up with engine oil (the reason I removed the engine.... pinholes in the oil pan) but before removing the engine, the bilge pumps would kick on but would stay running forever.. until i disconnected the battery. Now that the engine is out, I removed the pumps and cleaned them thoroughly, remounted them but I cannot find the float sensor. I did locate something that was siliconed to the floor that looks like it could be a sensor... It has no moving parts, looks like a small cylinder (1 1/2" tall by 1 1/4" across filled with resin and connected to a thick black wire.... I cant figure out what else this could be, and since there is no visible float, this must be some sort of sensor for the bilges. By the description, does anybody have a clue if Im in the right track? The "sensor" had come unstuck (un siliconned) from the floor at some point.. Maybe why it continued to run? Is this even the float sensor????

You may right... it sure looks like a transducer.
My real question is..
WHERE THE HECK IS MY FLOAT SWITCH!!! It is nowhere in the engine compartment.... I have a guy on standby to help reinstall the engine until I remedy the bilge pump issue. I’m scratching my head over this one... I’ll keep looking .

Through the hull transducer for a depth sounder ?

Last edited:
Back