Logo

Aq280 SP Prop shaft won’t come apart

Ciera2450

I have the prop shaft carrier housing out of the drive, wanting to change the back to back seals but I can’t get the assembly apart. I have removed the 6 nuts on the bearing retainer plate and that’s as far as I got. Any help is appreciated.

I'm assuming you can't get the carrier out of the lower unit. You will need a very long 2 jaw puller to remove the carrier. You could use a chain with a hook and a slide hammer. But sometimes that destroys the carrier

I have the prop shaft carrier housing out of the drive, wanting to change the back to back seals but I can’t get the assembly apart. I have removed the 6 nuts on the bearing retainer plate and that’s as far as I got. Any help is appreciated.
After the six nuts have been removed, the retainer plate will be free.
The main prop shaft angular contact bearing must be moved from the carrier.
Actually, think of it as if removing the carrier from the assembly..... i.e., prop shaft, driven gear, slinger pump impeller and the bearing.

A tried and proven method is using inertia.
Using a soft piece of lumber (laying flat on your work bench surface or shop floor), force the AFT end of the prop shaft straight down onto the lumber.
As the assembly is stopped by the lumber, the inertia force should begin to move the carrier from the bearing.
Use some heat on the aluminum carrier if need be (heat will slightly expand the carrier).
As it comes off, watch for any shims..... they must go back in as they were.

Now you will have access to the two back-to-back seals.

NOTE: these seals are not only FWD/AFT oriented, they are directional.
The gear oil seal lip and tension spring face FWD towards the gear cavity, and the water seal lip and tension spring face AFT towards the propeller.

I'm assuming you can't get the carrier out of the lower unit.
I read in post #1 that he has the carrier out!

You will need a very long 2 jaw puller to remove the carrier.
Great idea, but that does not work for the AQ series s/p prop shaft bearing carrier.

You could use a chain with a hook and a slide hammer. But sometimes that destroys the carrier
Yes, I would agree...... using high impact force is not recommended.

Below are images of my AQ series prop shaft bearing carrier puller tool design.
It is shown pulling a DP carrier, and also works for the s/p carrier.

Attachments

• Prop shaft carrier puller tool in use .jpg
    Prop shaft carrier puller tool in use .jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Prop shaft carrier puller tool 1.jpg
    Prop shaft carrier puller tool 1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thank you for the update Ricardo. I wasn't sure. Now I am

You are welcome.

Unlike the Merc A Dog Clutch drives, the AQ series s/p prop shaft bearing carrier retains the main bearing via a circular plate.
When the carrier is removed, the prop shaft, driven gear, slinger pump impeller, main bearing, etc, all come out as a unit.

There are no threaded holes for a conventional puller to connect to.
My tool pushes against two grade #8 threaded rods (threaded into the main gear case) as it pulls against the entire prop shaft and assembly. The two threaded rods simply pass on through the carrier, allowing the carrier to be pulled AFT.

Back