Logo

2001 jhonson 70hp surges wot

outback32

Regular Contributor
The motor starts great idles great and will run great for about 5 minutes wot. then it starts surging and the primer bulb loses prime. if you go back to idle for awhile and let the bulb catch up it does fine. The line and bulb were replaced last year. its a new tank with fresh gas. could it be the line or fittings

New hose, primer bulb, tank, I assume also all new fittings? If so, it's unlikely any of that is faulty... however, if any portion of that fuel line assembly is drawing air... by the same token, it will also be leaking fuel.

When this surging takes place, have someone constantly pumping the fuel primer bulb (acting as a manual fuel pump). If this cures the problem, suspect the fuel pump.

New hose, primer bulb, tank, I assume also all new fittings? If so, it's unlikely any of that is faulty... however, if any portion of that fuel line assembly is drawing air... by the same token, it will also be leaking fuel.

When this surging takes place, have someone constantly pumping the fuel primer bulb (acting as a manual fuel pump). If this cures the problem, suspect the fuel pump.
ok il do that is there any fittings you reccomend. im pretty sure this whole thing came from academy. im not sure what brand it is.

I popped the cover off after it sitting all night and theres gas pooled up in the front of the cowl. it looks like a gasket in front of the 3 carbs might be leaking

I took my tank and hose and it ran fine so the problem is in his tank or hose

That's using your head Spock! :) ... The rest of the problem should be easy for you to solve.

The face plate assemblies are never fully seal/leak proof... and with the engine in a tilted position, carburetor are so off level that they will absolutely have fuel leak out their throats.

That's using your head Spock! :) ... The rest of the problem should be easy for you to solve.

The face plate assemblies are never fully seal/leak proof... and with the engine in a tilted position, carburetor are so off level that they will absolutely have fuel leak out their throats.
This is my first engine over 35hp and one that stays tilted. I didn't know they would leak like that so that makes me happy. thanks for the help

Back