Logo

Yamaha 70tlra not going into reverse

Rossy29

Hi when on the water the engine sometimes will crunch and not go into reverse, when it does go into reverse the engine will accelerate quite hard straight away (a lot more then when you put into forward). When on the trailer with the gear cable off it goes in fine but its like a double push. When you go into forward it goes straight in, for reverse you push it back then back again to get it in. The cable will push the gear pin all the way back with remote. I think it maybe a remote problem as it has other issues that could be caused from it too but the remotes so simple I cant see anything.

Is this a new issue? The gear grind is one thing, the acceleration when in reverse gear is another. Check gear oil since having this issue?

Thats a good point. I bought the motor as rebuilt and he told me there was new oil in there but I never looked. Its not a new problem the motor came with a new 703 remote and cables I fitted everything. The remote was a pull type and I had to change it to push type. I had to shorten the throttle cable end aswell because the cable was too long and throttle wouldnt go completely back with remote. Maybe I have done something wrong?

Just been looking at the engine and exposed part of the shift rod looks like its been welded and ground with a grinder like it snapped and been joint. It hasnt come from the factory like that has it?

Back