Logo

Volvo Penta D6 400A Stern Drive 2011

Salidetch

Hello ALL,

I am hesitant to buy a boat for commercial use that has two Volvo penta D6 400, I have been reading on the forum that the running cost of the Volvo penta is high spare parts etc and the life span is short. the engines have 350 hours on it and seem to be well maintained by the current owner.

any suggestion or recommendation to take in consideration before I make this move will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

D6 370 hp and under have a cooker in rating for planing hull commercial 400s dont
volvo in general expensive parts hard to diagnose without their tools

5.5l making 400hp is higher than I would normally want for a commercial boat, but it depends how you will use them? I put 5.9l 370hp engine sin my charter boat and then derated them to 330hp so I can get a long life out of them. If you are going to use a lot of that 400hp on a continuous basis I would be very hesitant. If they are on outdrives I would walk away.

5.5l making 400hp is higher than I would normally want for a commercial boat, but it depends how you will use them? I put 5.9l 370hp engine sin my charter boat and then derated them to 330hp so I can get a long life out of them. If you are going to use a lot of that 400hp on a continuous basis I would be very hesitant. If they are on outdrives I would walk away.

Thanks for the feedback.
actually I won’t need all this HP, the engine will be run @ 1300 RPM most of the time. What’s the life span of this engine.

also I didn’t get what you mean by outs drives? This is a stern drive engine if that’s what you mean.

cheers

Back