Logo

water in oil

Bigfun

2001 80hp
I replaced head gasket but still getting water in oil.
I ran the the engine after head gasket replacement for about 2 hours. Checked dip stick and oil looked good, no milkyness. Pulled oil drain plug and about 2-3 tablespoons of clear water came out before any oil. So i figure I'll replace all the gaskets and seals that may be allowing water in.
Question is which seals and gaskets should i replace?
In my manual it shows the gasket that separates the powerhead from mid section and a gasket between the mid section and oil pan. Any other gaskets and seals?

The head gasket is the one to look at. Maybe it's just a smaller leak now after you replaced it. I would do a compression test on all cylinders just to confirm they're all about the same.

Water can leak out of the exhaust manifold gasket, the thermostat housing and through the internal anode if it's corroded enough.. but I don't see how it could end up in the crankcase if those were the source of the leak.

Because the water doesn't appear to be mixing with the oil, creating milky oil, I'm suspecting the water is entering low in the motor. Somewhere near the oil pump.
Also the other problem and main reason to replace head gasket is the compression test showed 135, 100, 145,145. The the 100psi cylinder had a little water cause a small amount of corrosion at the top of the cylinder wall.

Back