Logo

Merc 90hp 4Stroke Steam out of Tell-Tale

jblaloc1

Thanks in advance. I recently changed the water pump on my 2008 Mercury 4Stroke EFI 90hp. Think it all went well, solid stream at all cruising speeds, and the water coming out is warm/cool to touch. Recently I have noticed after running WOT and coming off plane there is steam coming out of the tell-tale for a moment then goes away-have also noticed a slight amount coming from under the cowling. Thinking my engine is mounted too low, and pushing water up into the cowling. Could this be causing the steam issue or am I totally off base, and need my water pump checked out ASAP? There are no alarms and the stream is solid.

Thanks again!!

I would think that if you have a good stream and you have no alarms it would be ok.
maybe you have a cavitation problem on decel. And it's sucking air for that brief moment.
As for the water exiting the cowling I would check next time your on the water. See if it's totally wet under the hood.

I would think that if you have a good stream and you have no alarms it would be ok.
maybe you have a cavitation problem on decel. And it's sucking air for that brief moment.
As for the water exiting the cowling I would check next time your on the water. See if it's totally wet under the hood.

Thanks for for the advice. That was my thinking also on the impeller/cooling system. I ran it for awhile at just idle and at wake, no steam. So if it is a cavitation problem, how would I know and how do you go about correcting it? Thanks again!

Any chance something like a hydrofoil might solve the problem until I can get it raised up?

Just an update. Took it out this morning, stayed at low almost no wake speed, and no steam out of the tell-tale...and obviously no water was splashing up in the cowling. Thinking it may definitely be related.

Back