Logo

What is ditzler du900 now called? painting my outdrive

vroomZOOM

Regular Contributor
Hello

My outdrive looks like crap so I decided to refinish it. I will be done sandblasting it soon. the merc service manual says to use ditzler du900, but a far as I know, ditzler is ppg. I looked on the ppg site but I could not find du900 worth a can of beans. what is the equivalent of that stuff? I will be painting in a heated spray booth. What other stuff do I need to prep? some kind of primers probably? also, how much do I need to paint the transom assembly, trim rams, helmet, gimbal ring, and drive?

Thanks

is the 3m marine filler any good? also, should I first etch the drive before filling to get the filler a better grip? what kind of etching compound should I use?

Thanks

ok, so I talked to some ppg guys here and they want a ridiculous price for one quart of primer, alodine, and urethane paint ($400). how much paint do I really need? I feel like one quart is enough to paint a car, not a drive! how much paint do I need?

You don't need expensive paint, but you do need expensive PRIMER. Buy the Interlux Epoxy PrimeKote. Use STAINLESS STEEL wire brushes to scrub out the pits with a light phosphoric acid solution (like CLR) allow to dry thoroughly and brush paint everything with the interlux. Next, use a good filler made for below the waterline like Jamestown Distributors epoxy fairing compound. Prime again and sand with 220. If you sand through, prime again and sand with 220.
With everything perfectly primed and sanded, use either regular outdrive paint in rattle cans or go all out and spray on POR-15 two part enamel. That stuff is indestructible

Last edited:
well, that interlux stuff is a quarter of the price of the ppg dp 40 epoxy primer - I might as well go with that... dunno aboot if I can find it in canada here tho

You guys are gonna hate me, but I went with imron because I got three gallons of new stuff for 30 bucks, along with some ppg 2c epoxy fleetprime. The alodine works horrible for some reason, and it took a lot of coaxing to go on. the imron went on pretty well though. I dont keep my boat in the water for more than a few days at a time though, so the imron shouldnt be a problem. will put up some pics

Back